Shower pump not running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Easi Boost pump fitted to my body shower but recently the pump does not run when the shower is turned on. However if I turn the hot water on at the hand basin the pump will cut in and will continue to run when the hot water tap is turned back off. On examining the system I have found that the pump has only been connected to the hot water with the cold-water connection on the pump left open. The cold water feed to the shower being direct from the mains.

1. Is this an acceptable installation

2. Could the problem be high cold water pressure

3. Or a fault on the pump, and if so could I use the other end of the pump for the hot water or would the seals on that side be knackered due to the fact that it has been running unconnected

This shower and pump was fitted by a plumber 5 years ago has been working ok until recently.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
shifty said:
1. Is this an acceptable installation
Only if the manufacturer says it is.

2. Could the problem be high cold water pressure
Potentially - do you have any pressure balancing component in the system?

3. Or a fault on the pump, and if so could I use the other end of the pump for the hot water or would the seals on that side be knackered due to the fact that it has been running unconnected
If the cold side is running dry then I wouldn't expect the pump to last very long, or the warranty to be valid.

This shower and pump was fitted by a plumber 5 years ago has been working ok until recently.
Any particular reason you haven't ask that plumber to come back?

shifty said:
... would the seals on that side be knackered due to the fact that it has been running unconnected
Very likely. It sounds as if your plumber was incompetent so it might be worth checking other aspects of the installation. Single ended pumps are available for applications such as yours.

Your immediate problem may be failure of the flow switch (on shower outlet) to detect lower flow rates of hot water flow during warm weather. This may be compounded by a relatively high mains cold pressure. A pressure reducing valve on the cold mains side might help. Also make sure that both supplies have non-return valves.

Sponsored Links
Next time the shower fails to work try lowering the shower head itself - take it out of the holder and lower it - it is a problem I have come across before. Check manufacturers instructions, as I don't usually recommend pumped hot mains cold - look at their website if necessary.

would the seals on that side be knackered due to the fact that it has been running unconnected

I would expect the pump to suffer damage within a few minutes of running with no water through this side. Pumps often use ceramic seals backed up by rubber seals. The rubber will rapidly cook as the ceramic heats up since its not surrounded by water.

I am surprised the pump has worked this long since the melted seals will create considerable friction for the motor to deal with. Don't connect the un-used side without a strip down to assess the damage - may leak big time. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back