shower pump problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just installed a single stuart turner pump , the pump keeps pulsing when i have it at the right temperature for a shower, when i turn the mixer it starts pulsing on then off, if i turn the mixer to the hottest it works fine, but when i turn it to cold it cuts off, dint understand this, please help, thanks, the pump as just been fitted. its next to the hot water tank, i have searched the internet for the answer but no joy? the pump is connected to the hot water pipe, should i buy a double feed instead of a single feed, my heads done in, thanks

Sponsored Links
How much is the distance between the shower head and the Cold water storage tank?

I assume that you have used cold mains pressure do you know how much pressure there is on the cold?

What pressure pump did you buy?

How much is the distance between the shower head and the Cold water storage tank?

I assume that you have used cold mains pressure do you know how much pressure there is on the cold?

What pressure pump did you buy?
the cold tank is above the shower in the loft approx 2m, not sure on the pressure from it, its a stuart turner pump 1.5bar, ive noticed when the hot run a bit cooler the pump works fine, do the pumps have some kind of heat sensor, thanks pete

If you are only pumping the hot and using gravity fed cold that will cause the pump to stop when the cold runs. You need to pump both or to use a single pump this would have to go between shower mixer and shower head.

If you are pumping hot and using mains cold then the cold may need a restrictor

Most pumps should not be used with input water at over 65deg C

Jason

Sponsored Links
If you turn on other mains cold taps like the kitchen/garden tap and the shower then works fine then a pressure balancing valve will solve the issue.

Technotim";p="1001494 said:
If you turn on other mains cold taps like the kitchen/garden tap and the shower then works fine then a pressure balancing valve will solve the issue.[/quote
when i get the temp right for a shower the pump starts pulsing, if i then leave the water running and take the shower head off the pump works fine and at the right temp when i replace the shower head it starts pulsing again is there a special shower head i need, the pipe from the shower is 15mm what am i doin wrong, thanks again, pete

My assumption is that the non return valve is opening and closing due to the pressure of the mains being stored in the shower valve when the shower head is fitted. that is why I asked you to turn on the cold in the kitchen cold tap to relieve the pressure in the valve to see if the pulsing stopped, If I were you I would remove the non return valve that came with the shower and fit one at the outlet of the pump and also consider either buying a twin ended pump or a pressure balancing valve.

If you buy a Pressure balancing valve there will be non return valves fitted to it so remove the ones that came with the valve.

Can you confirm which valve you have also that it is definately mains cold water you are using to feed the valve.

If it is gravity feed from the cold water tank in the loft my answer will be different depending on the valve you have ;)

My assumption is that the non return valve is opening and closing due to the pressure of the mains being stored in the shower valve when the shower head is fitted. that is why I asked you to turn on the cold in the kitchen cold tap to relieve the pressure in the valve to see if the pulsing stopped, If I were you I would remove the non return valve that came with the shower and fit one at the outlet of the pump and also consider either buying a twin ended pump or a pressure balancing valve.

If you buy a Pressure balancing valve there will be non return valves fitted to it so remove the ones that came with the valve.

Can you confirm which valve you have also that it is definately mains cold water you are using to feed the valve.

If it is gravity feed from the cold water tank in the loft my answer will be different depending on the valve you have ;)
the cold comes from tank in loft gravity fed, i tried turning on the taps but still the same pulsing, its seem to do it when the hot water is hot and as soon as u turn the cold on the mixing valve it start to pulse, ive followed the instruction manual, and wonder if i have a faulty pump, are stuart turnner pumps temp controlled do they have a cut off when water too hot, its doin my head in now, anyone who can help i will buy you a drink, thanks pete

ST Pumps do not have a temperature sensor.

Yes you should have bought a twin pump. or two singles.

You might not have enough flow when trying too mix the water together, Turn off pump at electrical switch, Get a bucket, run shower till hot, turn shower control full hot, measure flow (place bucket under shower head, time 1 Min) , if its less than 1 litre per minute then you do not have enough flow to activate the flow switch in the pump so the pump will go on/off the pump will get confused.

Although st pumps will activate @ 0.7 liters per min you will never get 100% hot from a thermostatic shower valve.

As long as you can now get a good mix of temp and its stable then there is no fault with the shower valve.

To mix your in low pressure cold with your high pressure pumped hot, The shower valve will try to slow down the hot flow to acheive the desired temp which will be over powering the cold. as it slows down the hot you will be lowering the flow rate possibly causing the pulsing.

By doing the test with the pump off electrically you are seeing that you do have the flow rate to turn on the pump on normally. so If you have the flow to turn the pump on then you need to pump the cold side. a, Get a twin pump or b, Get another pump the same as you have for the cold side.

*The hot water should not exceed 65 degrees.

Good Luck I will be waiting for that drink.

ST Pumps do not have a temperature sensor.

Yes you should have bought a twin pump. or two singles.

You might not have enough flow when trying too mix the water together, Turn off pump at electrical switch, Get a bucket, run shower till hot, turn shower control full hot, measure flow (place bucket under shower head, time 1 Min) , if its less than 1 litre per minute then you do not have enough flow to activate the flow switch in the pump so the pump will go on/off the pump will get confused.

Although st pumps will activate @ 0.7 liters per min you will never get 100% hot from a thermostatic shower valve.

thanks for the advice, im going to sell this one and buy a double,

As long as you can now get a good mix of temp and its stable then there is no fault with the shower valve.

To mix your in low pressure cold with your high pressure pumped hot, The shower valve will try to slow down the hot flow to acheive the desired temp which will be over powering the cold. as it slows down the hot you will be lowering the flow rate possibly causing the pulsing.

By doing the test with the pump off electrically you are seeing that you do have the flow rate to turn on the pump on normally. so If you have the flow to turn the pump on then you need to pump the cold side. a, Get a twin pump or b, Get another pump the same as you have for the cold side.

*The hot water should not exceed 65 degrees.

Good Luck I will be waiting for that drink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back