Shower pump suddenly stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Recently moved in to a newly purchased house and shower was working fine up until yesterday. Today switched on and no noise from the pump and obviously very low water flow.

It is a Showerforce Turbo pump, connected to a hot water tank in the next cupboard and a cold water tank in the loft above.

Can anyone suggest what might be the issue? And any tests or easy fixes? I’ve taken the shower head off, tried running it with power off for a few minutes and replaced the fuse in the spur.

I’m guessing just a coincidence but the central heating boiler was serviced by British Gas 2 days ago.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Does the pump have power to it? Could they have pressed the switch by accident?

Hi all,

Recently moved in to a newly purchased house and shower was working fine up until yesterday. Today switched on and no noise from the pump and obviously very low water flow.

It is a Showerforce Turbo pump, connected to a hot water tank in the next cupboard and a cold water tank in the loft above.

Can anyone suggest what might be the issue? And any tests or easy fixes? I’ve taken the shower head off, tried running it with power off for a few minutes and replaced the fuse in the spur.

I’m guessing just a coincidence but the central heating boiler was serviced by British Gas 2 days ago.

Thanks in advance!

Check for power at the pump.
Can the pump be isolated from the feeds and removed?
Does it feed just the shower?
Are there any inline strainers fitted to the pump inlets?
Check for air, debris or stuck flow switch.
Gentle tapping with screwdriver might free a stuck flow switch.
If just feeding the shower then issue could be with the shower itself. Try turning it on with shower head low down in the bath/enclosure.

Check for power at the pump.
Can the pump be isolated from the feeds and removed?
Does it feed just the shower?
Are there any inline strainers fitted to the pump inlets?
Check for air, debris or stuck flow switch.
Gentle tapping with screwdriver might free a stuck flow switch.
If just feeding the shower then issue could be with the shower itself. Try turning it on with shower head low down in the bath/enclosure.

I’ve checked the fuse etc at the spur and that seems all ok.

I believe it can be removed as there seems to be flat head valves on the inlet pipes

It is going to the shower only and not sure on inlet strainers? What would they look like? To me it just looks like normal attachments with flexi pipes from the copper pipes (I guess copper) to the pump

I’ve tried tapping with a screwdriver but how gentle is gentle ? I’m tempted a big whack with a hammer haha!

Sponsored Links
Well, if you’re up to it, you can isolate and remove the pump from the supplies and check to see if it has filters in the feeds that have got blocked... do the same with the shower inlets... at the most basic form of filter, it’ll be a rubber washer with a metal mesh screen inside.
Have you had the water board fit any water saving devices to the shower outlet? That’s another common issue.
Some photos would help, then it’s checking the flow switch on the pump and that it’s getting enough head of pressure to be activated.

They probably did not even touch the boiler,let alone tweak,adjust,turn,touch any other bit

I agree. I was also doubtful about Op’s declaration that power supply is ‘actually” proven... we have to go on what we’re told.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I’m happy there is a place to come for suggestions etc.

I took the plunge and decided to get a new pump and fit it myself. Took me longer than I’m sure you guys would have taken but it works now so I’m all happy !

Thank you all for the suggestions. I’m happy there is a place to come for suggestions etc.

I took the plunge and decided to get a new pump and fit it myself. Took me longer than I’m sure you guys would have taken but it works now so I’m all happy !
Good to hear that, well done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back