Shower pump...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm having a shower pump and bigger hot water cylinder fitted, what make pump would you recommend, I'm looking at either a Stuart Turner Showermate/Monsoon or a Salamander, should I stick with 1.4/1.5 bar or pay the bit extra for a 2 bar in either of these. I want to make sure that I get really good pressure on all the different spray settings on my shower head.

Also my current cylinder, which is situated on the first floor, is 900mm by 450mm, I'm looking at a 1500mm by 450mm, is it safe to put such a big cylinder in, I don't want the floor caving in :D

If you guys could suggest what I should be paying for the above stuff that would be great!

Cheers
Dips

Sponsored Links
Any of those pumps will do you, they are all equally noisey!! As for pressure that's entirely up to you, 1.5 bar is plenty I would have thought.

Wouldn't want to comment on the strength of your floor but if it is in tact and rot free you should be OK. Ensure that the load is spread properly.

As for price, get a couple of prices and use one against the other. That'll get you the best price in your area at least!!

I wouldn't bother with 1.4 bar if you want "really good pressure".
Of course they aren't all as noisy as each other. :rolleyes:

More power means more noise. What you hear depends a lot on how competent you are at siting and mounting it.
Salamanders are a bit quieter than Stuart Turner brass ones, but not quite as durable.

Mine's a 4 bar twin, but then I'm a plumber so I have to have a f o shower, innit.

Floor? Well, one fat bloke weighs 120kg...

ChrisR said:
Of course they aren't all as noisy as each other. :rolleyes:

Relatively speaking. ;)

Dips, you're looking at approx an extra 60kg for a 1500 cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys, just got the quote back from the plumber, to supply and fit a 1500mm x 450mm cylinder and a Stuart Turner 1.5 bar pump he wants 1600 quid, which sounds a bit much. He quoted £500 for the labour and the rest parts. Phoned up my cousin who works in a plumbing/heating supply shop and he quoted £129 for the same size cylinder and £125 for a 1.5 bar Salamander pump. He also said the 2 bar isn't much more expensive. Think I'm going to supply the parts, with the 2 bar pump and get the guy to fit it, and from the looks of it save myself 700/800 quid on the parts!

Also, when purchasing a cylinder do I need to specify a high recovery/efficiency one or is that the standard to which all cylinders are made, if not, I guess there will be a difference in the price.

Regards
Mandip

If you've got a multi pattern shower head and want good flow and pressure on your open/foamy type setting (normally jet/standard/foamy) you'll want at least a 2 bar pump.

The higher the pressure normally the noisier the pump.
I've got the Salamander RSP 75 - 2.25 bar and I'm pleased with it both from a performance and noise point of view.
It's sitting on top of a 300mm square paving stone (about £2 from wickes) on top of some rockwool to dampen any vibrations. It's mounted in the loft and standing directly under it but outside the bathroom, the sound of the running shower water drowns any noise left.

I can say I've had some bloody noisy cheap pumps in the past, worth getting one of those makes and mounting it properly.

Stuart Turner first; Salamander second. 2 bar will not increase the noise levels considerably. Buzz's tip for sound dampening should see you right. A solid base is the key.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back