Shower rail fixing problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just rented a flat which has a bath with a shower hose but no shower screen or curtain.

I bought a shower rail intending to fix it in a long L shape around the bath, as is customary.

Unfortunately the owner has had the bathroom walls clad in plastic barge-board and when I put a drill into it I dscovered there is a void of 4 or 5 cms before you hit anything solid.

I bought some expanding plastic fixings which are meant to be used on plasterboard or voids etc. but even with the long screws supplied, as soon as I put the rail up it started to sag at the unsupported corner, and I could see that if I attached the curtain to it it would pull straight out of the board. I do not want to be in for a big repair bill to the landlady's "lovely" bathroom, so I stopped for a rethink.

Even with a rail which has a support fixed to the ceiling at the corner I am not sure that the plastic boards would hold the rail without it pulling away. The plastic is very soft and would easily tear, I think.

I could try a telescopic rail which relies on friction to hold it up, but on bendy boards I am not sure about that either, and it would have to extend a further 60cms beyond the bath to meet the opposite wall.

My only other idea is to fix a rail to the ceiling, which is made of plasterboard. I am not sure where the joists lie, but I could probably find them. Does anyone know of a brand of rail where this would be possible?

I thought about a wardrobe rail, but the hanging supports would not be long enough to drop it low enough for a standard length shower curtain and there would be the issue of getting the curtain past the supports.

Sponsored Links
Ceiling fix sounds the likely route. You may have to settle for curtain on one side of the bath only, or cut the curtain in two and have a smaller section for the end.

A folding screen would be much better IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back