Shower Room Extractor Fan - Rattling backdraft Louvers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife tells me "How come no one else suffers from this problem" :)

The existing fan is a 4" timed with a switched live from the light switch - since the major source of water vapour is the shower, which we usually have during the day it doesn't really serve much purpose (the door is normally open into the bedroom as well).

I've tried replacing it with a cowled version - that made more noise.

There are various fans with integral backdraft, but I assume I would need one that is controlled by the fan, otherwise they will still rattle.

I have found a few with auto shutters, most are a bit bulky so i am not sure how that will go down eg
Xpelair AV100
Manrose XF100 - not sure what it means by waiting 45 seconds after the fan is switched on...
Silavent SVC100
Airflow Icon, compact, but dust can clog up the shutter?

Also how well do humidstats work, I tried one before, but it failed fairly quickly.

Any recommendations on the best solution?

Sponsored Links
I have a Manrose XF100 in my kitchen. When the fan is switched on it takes a few seconds for the integral shutters to open up before the fan vents to the outside. The vents then close when it is switched off preventing draughts. On the outside is just a standard grill with no vents. It's not the most powerful fan but does the job for what I need.

Humidistats can be a bit of a pain unless they are set correctly.

Rats meant to post this in the electrics forum.

Thanks for replying, the hunidstat was a bit of a pain. Setting up was trial and error. It was a while ago and I may have just used the timer in the end as it seemed temperamental.

There are various fans with integral backdraft, but I assume I would need one that is controlled by the fan, otherwise they will still rattle.

I have found a few with auto shutters, most are a bit bulky so i am not sure how that will go down eg
Xpelair AV100
Manrose XF100 - not sure what it means by waiting 45 seconds after the fan is switched on...
Silavent SVC100
Airflow Icon, compact, but dust can clog up the shutter?

Any recommendations on the best solution?

The Manrose one will be thermally actuated so when you turn the fan on, it will take about 45 seconds before the automatic shutter opens. Other designs rely on the airflow from the fan to keep the shutter open although I can't be certain on the other models you have listed.

I have experience of both designs and in my view, the thermally actuated ones are better as they seem less prone to flap around in the wind (just like your current backdraft louvres) and actually stay open when the fan is running. The type operated by the airflow of the fan can sometimes shut in driving wind even with the fan running. Vent Axia also use thermo-electric shutters in their fans:

http://www.vent-axia.com/content/va100xt

HTH,

Sponsored Links
The airflow icon is the most attractive option I seen so far. I have to discuss the matter further to see which she wnats.

Went for the Airflow with humidity+pull cord timer.

After installing the first comment was its big :)

Had a shower and after a few minutes the humidity control activated so first impressions are good. I may remove the switched live as it does not serve much purpose. The light is only used at night and the shower is mostly used in the morning without the light on. The pull cord can be used if condensation needs to be cleared.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back