Shower room plate switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3EAB31AF-B992-4A5C-B6EC-A1AD60E1DCCA.jpeg Hi, I have taken out an extractor mounted in the window glass and wondered if I could utilise the old supply socket backbox to fit a switch to operate the ceiling mouted fan?
I dont like pull switches so are there any safe switches I could use in this situation?
The shower is 2m away at the opposite end of the room.
thanks
litl

Sponsored Links
Yes. The basin distance is irrelevant.

Nothing to do with the regulations but is it the most convenient place for the fan switch?
It will presumably be needed when the shower is on and not when using the basin.
Would next to the light switch not be a better place?

Thanks for your reply,at the moment there is a switch outside the shower room door in the bedroom that operates the lights and fan .
I would like to run the light and fan indipendantly which is my reason for the question.
WhenI skimmed the wall I left the backbox and fitted a cover plate to show there was a live cable in the wall which isn't where one would expect one to be.
litl

Last edited:
You could put the switch on a wooden post at the end of your garden and have the fan independent of the light, if you wanted.

The location of the switch does not affect what it does - EFLI's point was is where you want to put it a sensible location?

If you were starting from scratch with a room with no electrical wiring, would you choose to put the fan switch there?

Sponsored Links
Also, what circuit was the old fan on, and how was it controlled?
It was powered from a fused down spur off a 15amp curcuit to the outlet on the wall and a pull cord on the extractor
Edit: with regard to switches in a convenient place, its only half an arm length from the door post.

Is the circuit RCD protected?

Where will the cable from the switch to the fan run?

Where's the FCU - could that not be used as the switch?

If anybody pops up moaning about the FCU not being needed because in the rest of Europe the fan would be on a 16A circuit, just ignore them.

If anybody pops up moaning about the FCU not being needed because in the rest of Europe the fan would be on a 16A circuit, just ignore them.

Well that of course depends on the size of the cable used.

But I think it is rather impolite of you to tell the OP to ignore other members who may well have a valid point.

View attachment 147176
Is the circuit RCD protected?

Where will the cable from the switch to the fan run?

Where's the FCU - could that not be used as the switch?

I am not concerned about original supplies etc If one looks again at the op it should be clear that I only want to use the backbox to mount a switch to operate the new fan which is at present switched from outside the room.
Btw, curcuits are proected,RCbo housed in metal box

Attachments

• 547D183B-7C19-45A6-BF80-50892E3CD0A9.jpeg
    547D183B-7C19-45A6-BF80-50892E3CD0A9.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 237
I am not concerned about original supplies etc If one looks again at the op it should be clear that I only want to use the backbox to mount a switch to operate the new fan which is at present switched from outside the room.
Indeed, but the question about RCD protection is vital to that, because if the circuit did not have it then you would not be allowed to do what you planned.

Also, the question about where the cable from the switch to the fan would run cannot be ignored (assuming you intend to bury it).

Finally, as you want a switch, it might be that you could use the FCU for that function.

Was going to blank original wiring from floor to box inside it with crimp blanking caps .
When I plaster boarded the wall I put a plastic conduit and cable from the loft to backbox just in case but now I know I can fit a switch I can run the wire into the junction box replacing the cable that goes to the switch outside shower room door .
I could use an fcu as a switch but would it be required as there is already an isolation switch in the loft near the inline fan .

Was going to blank original wiring from floor to box inside it with crimp blanking caps .
When I plaster boarded the wall I put a plastic conduit and cable from the loft to backbox just in case but now I know I can fit a switch I can run the wire into the junction box replacing the cable that goes to the switch outside shower room door .
Sorry - can't follow that.

The issue is whether any buried cables will be in the allowable zones:

https://www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

I could use an fcu as a switch but would it be required as there is already an isolation switch in the loft near the inline fan .
It's nothing to do with whether it's required.

You want a switch for the fan. The FCU could be that switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back