Shower screen hinge removal??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone recognise this hinge?
View media item 97747
It's from one of these screens:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000mm-Fo...hroom-Panel-/370935797297?hash=item565d7f1631

I didn't get the screen from ebay - bought it new and boxed from a chap on gumtree as an interim improvement in our bathroom until we re-do the entire room.

However despite all images on the box and instructions showing a screen fitted on the right hand side of the bath what I have is a lefty (as per the ebay listing). This wouldn't be an issue if it could fold back over the bath but it hits the tap at about 45 degrees so I really need it to fold outside the bath.

So I need to undo the two hinges that join the piece of glass that's fixed to the wall and the first hinged section so I can flip that section relative to the others. I can't flip the entire screen as the first piece of glass is 15mm taller (at the base) than the subsequent panels - as shown below:
View media item 97748
Anyway I'm struggling to get the hinge covers removed - I'm assuming they're a keyhole or slot fixing that you push one way then lift off as the metal cap shown is seamless with no grub screws etc. but they feel pretty solid and I haven't attacked them with a vengeance yet as I don't want to damage them - I'd rather act on more information!

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
According to listing it's reversible.
Maybe try calling tel:02476389051 for guidance or a copy of instructions.

Been there done that!

By reversible it seems they mean it can be exposed to water on either side of the screen without disassembly. I called up the sellers ibath/bath empire/soak.com and they think the hinges can be removed but can't tell me how the covers are fixed on...I've found another seller of this item and are awaiting their response. Ideally I'd like to track down the original manufacturer but can find no indication of who that is.

I should add that looking side on to the panel I can make out the hole in the glass where the screw(s) for the hinge pass through so I don't think they're just glued/bonded on.

Sponsored Links
Been there done that!

By reversible it seems they mean it can be exposed to water on either side of the screen without disassembly. I called up the sellers ibath/bath empire/soak.com and they think the hinges can be removed but can't tell me how the covers are fixed on...I've found another seller of this item and are awaiting their response. Ideally I'd like to track down the original manufacturer but can find no indication of who that is.
Sounds like they don't know the product, reversible means just that, can be fitted left or right handed.

It's normally just a simple case of levering up the caps, but it's a judgment case as to how much force you use.

Don't think so, there are no joins visible in the cap that would indicate that...

Aaaand Bully's special prize goes to:
Jim_Speedboat.jpg

It's normally just a simple case of levering up the caps, but it's a judgment case as to how much force you use.

They were indeed caps that levered off...with the aid of a scraper and a rubber mallet - they needed quite a bit of encouragement from the mallet, inserting the scraper blade underneath on it's own got me nowhere!

God, you must have been sweating a bit before they popped. Sounds as though they may have had a dab of glue on them, but well done.

No glue that I could see, just a really tight fit...but yes, it was a bit of a bravery test!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back