Shower Silconing - 2 Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
maybe not the right place for this

1) I have small hole in the silicone in the corner of my shower tray. I know from past experience that its not always best to try and silicone on top of other sealant already in place, but I also don't want to pull it all up and reseal from scratch for the sake of a small hole. Any tips?

2) I need to reseal my shower taps. Easy to remove and so forth and to seal, BUT the covers that I currently have in place that are cheap chrome effect, don't actually fit flush anymore to the tiles due to some retiling work I had to do (long story) but are they easy to replace and where do you get them from? Any ideas - am I being dumb and actually these are rife on EBay!!

Sponsored Links
I would redo the lot with a good quality silicone such as Dow Corning 785.

What covers are you referring to? :confused:

thanks for the reply. the 785 stuff was actually just what I was looking at, but didn't fancy redoing the whole lot!!

The covers, if you imagine are the cone type chrome fittings which on my shower bar cover holes that are made in the tiles to connect the hot and cold connectors on the bar to the pipes in the wall. They are largely for show (in that they don't provide waterproofing) but clearly cover the holes and the sealant!

Mine no longer fit flush because during my resealing of the showing we took the tiles out further than the piepwork was originally laid as its now aquaboarded. The point is though I have no idea what they are called to rind up and ask someone if they stock them!

Sponsored Links
Thanks again

I have some of these type already and they are not sturdy enough

My ideal solution is the actual replacement of the ones that come with the shower bars, however for some reason I cannot communicate what the actual things are when I speak with people. Do shower bar manufacturers just not make spare parts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back