Shower smell and gurgling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Our shower has a very strong smell coming from it, smells like weed to a point.

We have had hair build up previously but has cleared with cleaners.

The water seems to run down fine. When I run the sink I can see hear a gulping/gurgling sound.

Any ideas? Any other products that are good at clearing the pipes? All our pipe work is in hall ceiling so want to avoid cutting a hole in to check pipe work.

I've poured down all sorts of drain cleaners, vinegar, baking soda etc but it keep coming back.

Sponsored Links
Is there a toilet in the same room?

I am not a plumber but I have worked in houses where a partial blockage in the soil pipe results in the flushing of the toilet creating a vacuum that sucks the water out of the shower or bath trap.

If the problem is down to hair creating a blockage, baking soda will make no difference- One Shot, which is highly concentrated acid will melt hair/paper/etc but is now a (semi) restricted item.

Please note- I am not recommending that you use the above. If there is a blockage that requires a plumber to cut through a pipe and it is full of One Shot, it could harm them.

Hopefully a plumber will be along soon.

Can it be taken apart? Most modern traps have a removable grille. They're supplied with a metal hook tool, if you don't have one then you can improvise by twanging it out with a screwdriver or similar. It usually just lifts out, but may be well gummed in with muck.

Show us a photo if you like.

Sponsored Links
All the pipe work is under the floorboards in the ceiling

We have one shower that can be opened and another that can't.

For the non-removable one, dry and gaffer tape over the basin waste then run the shower and give it some welly with a sink plunger, lots of times. Hopefully this will clear whatever's lying around in there.

If it empties into a gully outside then look there afterwards - chances are you'll find a plug of hair the size of a rat that needs scooping out!

After, shine a torch down it while someone else empties the basin and flushes the bog, check it's not sucking the water out of the shower trap. If it is then it needs a vent somewhere upstream, or there may be one that's stopped working.

Yes there is a toilet in the same room

If it isn't the only loo in the house, it might be prudent to use the shower and basin but not use the toilet for a couple of days.

If it is the only loo, each time you flush it, after, pour some water in to the shower (and basin) and see if the smells persists. If the smell is not noticable, then it may be down to a syphon effect.

Yeah there's nothing in the shower drain itself it's all clear.

This is the shower drain

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 29
Oh I see, you've opened it up already. In which case a plunger.

You can proddle down the pipe too. A bit of semi-bendy wire or similar.

Yeah I've prodded around and nothing

Water runs fine, just the gargling and the smell really

I'd still give it a blast, there could be a partial blockage.

If it still gargles then check what ventilation there is. Could be none, in which case add some. Could be broken, in which case replace it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back