Shower solenoid leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello good people, hope someone will be able to help.

We've got a Triton Trance shower and water has been leaking from the shower head when it's switched off (was running rather than dripping).

So, I bought a new solenoid and have just fitted it - all seemed to go on fine but now when I switch the water back on, water drips directly from out of the bottom of the new solenoid (a drip every second or so).

The new solenoid seemed to go on OK, it came with a new o-ring and I stuck a new olive on the inlet, so I can't see anything obvious I've done wrong.

Is this likely to just be a faulty new solenoid, or are there other things I should look at first before I send it back?

Cheers in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
is it dripping from the o ring or the olive.
if its the o ring its not seated in correct.
if its the olive may just need nipping up don't overtighten them on the plastic valve.

Thanks for the reply. Neither really, it's dripping straight out of the bottom of the solenoid - can't see it running down from the o-ring or anything. Might just be able to make it out from the attached pic.

[/img]

i take you replaced the complete valve.

that solenoid will seperate from the plastic valve. it just slides on a spindle in the centre of the solenoid.

if you place a flat screwdriver between the plastic valve and the solenoid
and carefully lever the solenoid down it will release off the spindle.
it won't come right off due to the casing but will drop enough to see if the water is coming from a crack in the valves plastic casing.

it won't be the solenoid thats leaking as this is only an electrical solenoid.

if the valve is faulty replace your old valve with the new solenoid on as it is the solenoid that fails not the valve.
they just come as a complete unit to the public.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Yep, bought the whole thing so will pull it to bits and see if I can tell where the leak is coming from. I managed to knacker the old valve taking it off though so can't do a mix and match job.

Thanks for the pointers.

how did you break the old one ?
try taking the solenoid off the old valve then you'll know how it comes off rather than bugger the new one.

Cheers. When I'd taken the old valve off, the olive was stuck fast and I couldn't get the nut off it, so I just sawed through the plastic! Subtlety isn't really me...

We've got a Triton Trance shower and water has been leaking from the shower head when it's switched off (was running rather than dripping).
if the valve is faulty replace your old valve with the new solenoid on as it is the solenoid that fails not the valve.
Actually, when the shower is off but water comes from the shower head, then it's the valve that's faulty, not the solenoid.

Actually, when the shower is off but water comes from the shower head, then it's the valve that's faulty, not the solenoid.

yes thats this time the valve is leaking on the new valve
the first time he had the fault with no water flow at all he had a faulty solenoid.

yes thats this time the valve is leaking on the new valve
the first time he had the fault with no water flow at all he had a faulty solenoid.
seco are you working too hard? The original valve was letting by, as follows:

So, I bought a new solenoid...
Or were you thinking of another topic?

read so many my head go's round in circles.
thats where trying to sort your own work out and being on here don't mix.

don't remember reading that bit yesterday. :rolleyes:

then no good useing old valve then and new solenoid. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back