Shower squeal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently (around early spring) had an en-suite fitted which includes a mixer shower that runs off our combi boiler. The shower is an overhead rain style shower with separate controls for the mixer unit. The pipework now sits behind a tiled false wall and over the past few weeks they (or something) now produces a loud squeal shortly after the shower is turned on. I would say that the noise starts after about 10 to 20 seconds and then lasts for around 30 seconds before dying away.

I am linking this to the fact that the weather has turned colder and that this noise is the pipes warming up from cold however I could easily be wrong with this and wouldn't know any better until we'd been through the winter and another summer. The shower unit is located in the middle of our house and against the part wall of the adjoining semi-detached so is probably in about the best place for minimising temperature fluctuation - but the fact that it is on the party wall will make it noisy for our neighbours (not too mention ourselves).

The fact that all of the en-suite is now tiled means that I don't have any method of investigating whether it is some sort of movement within the pipes and, if it was, any way that I can think of to stop it.

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts as to what might be causing this and how it might be prevented.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your reply. It is my suspicion that it is something like that.
Do you have any idea whether this could be stopped - without removing the tiles and the false wall?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back