Squealing shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm now on my 3rd Ideal Standard A3000 IS Therm thermostatic shower mixer. The first one 10 years old started squealing so I purchased an exact replacement. It worked for 2 months then started squealing so I sent it back assuming faulty and got another which is squealing from day 1. Moreso when I turn temperature control up or down. Am I just unlucky or doing something wrong? I have high pressure mains of 7 bar at the cold tap but the specs say max static pressure of 10 bar so I assume that's not it. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
No. Its an unvented system. Santon hot water tank. Similar to a megaflow I believe.

Sponsored Links
Doubt the new shower mixer valve is faulty,heard a few of them valves :whistle: when altering the controls.Usually down to unbalanced water supply.

Cold is measuring 6.5-7 bar. Hot is about 3.6. So that's the problem? What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks

Balanced hot and cold?

Cold is measuring 6.5-7 bar. Hot is about 3.6. So that's the problem?

Levers1,Have you measured them bar readings at the shower inlets.your mixer requires balanced inlet pressures.

The mixer is also sold under other names,they are actually a very good mixer. its a sequential hot & cold mixer with hot & cold inlets operated via a gear operation then the mixed water is delivered to the thermostatic part.they need correct installation and set up.

I'm now on my 3rd Ideal Standard A3000 IS Therm thermostatic shower mixer.

seems the installation is incorrect or unmentioned alterations have rendered the installation incorrect. hope you kept the previous shower valve :idea: they gave you a free shower mixer valve.

Its up to a competent person to fit and set up these valves (y)

Very good mixers (y)

I measured the pressures on the ends of the hot and cold water pipes before connecting these to the valve. I'm no expert but like to think I'm a pretty competent diy-er. This seemed a relatively easy installation of the actual valve. I fed hot and cold into the marked inlets and the mixed outlet direct to the shower outlet, exactly as the original one was fitted. I made no other adjustments. Should there be some other adjustments I need to make?

Does your UV have an inlet control group that splits the mains to hot tank and cold feeds thus balancing the supplies to all the outlets? That is what is required to solve the issue or find the cold supply and PRV it down to match the hot.

I have attached a pic of the setup in my airing cupboard next to the hot water cylinder. You will see there is a PEV but I've no idea if it's connected properly or maybe the PEV is just not working properly? Assuming its one of these 2 things, I guess I will need to get an expert in to sort it out? What's the best place to look for someone reasonable who is properly uv qualified? I've also had a problem with the overflow from the setup in the airing cupboard to the outside flowing regularly, especially after using the shower, and it only seems to stop when you run a hot tap downstairs. Could this be part of the same problem?

Attachments

• IMAG0480.jpg
    IMAG0480.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 118
From what can be seen in that photo, your cold supply to the cylinder is not balanced with the cold supply to the rest of the property... unless there is a similar PRV elsewhere, which is doubtful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back