Shower switch getting warm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I live in a rented house, it has a walk-in shower with an electric shower, and the whole installation looks like it was professionally done, switch RCD, etc.
When using the shower the switch gets warm, not hot, just warm, but it is the whole of the switch including the housing. I can not remember if this is normal as it draws a lot of current.
Any info is welcome.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The switch, as in the isolator switch? No it shouldn't get noticeably warm, unless you run the shower for a very long time. If in normal use it gets warm, then something is amiss, such as cables poorly terminated, or the switch worn.

The switch, as in the isolator switch? No it shouldn't get noticeably warm, unless you run the shower for a very long time. If in normal use it gets warm, then something is amiss, such as cables poorly terminated, or the switch worn.
Or a 32A (or even a 20A) switch for a 10KW shower.

Sponsored Links
Probably a loose connection, just isolate and retighten for now. If it doesn't make a difference. it could be that the contacts are getting worn or that the switch simply isn't up to the job and will get worse over time, so best to replace with a good make of the correct rating.

Probably a loose connection, just isolate and retighten for now. If it doesn't make a difference. it could be that the contacts are getting worn or that the switch simply isn't up to the job and will get worse over time, so best to replace with a good make of the correct rating.
Retightening it won't cure the heat damage already caused.

You know, an MCB works by getting hot in normal operation. At 100% of rating the temperature rise can legitimately be 60 deg C. Personally I would expect an electric shower MCB to get noticeably hot, if I had an electric shower.

You know, an MCB works by getting hot in normal operation. At 100% of rating the temperature rise can legitimately be 60 deg C. Personally I would expect an electric shower MCB to get noticeably hot, if I had an electric shower.

The OP has not yet made clear what the 'switch' is which is getting warm. It could be the isolating switch, MCB, RCD, perhaps even an RCBO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back