Shower switch: OK to leave on permanently?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pullcord to our shower switch broke the other day, some clumsy oaf who shall remain nameless having pulled on it too hard.

I obtained a new cord but had the devil's own job tying it on, because there were only about three inches left attached to the switch. Having read about this problem elsewhere, my only option if the cord breaks again is to replace the switch, because it appears that you can't renew or reattach the cord inside. Unless that's incorrect, of course.

In order to put off the day when I have to replace the switch, is there any problem with leaving it on permanently, to save pulling the cord twice every time someone uses the shower?

Sponsored Links
leaving it on is fine. it's a isolator for maintenance on the shower not an on/ off switch. that's what the switch on the shower is for.

Thanks for that.

Long ago I got into the regular habit of turning everything and anything electrical off at the wall when not in use, and its a hard habit to break.

Usually, an 'acorn' is fitted on the string a few inches where it emerges from the switch. This allows a new string to be added on without too much fuss.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

When the thing broke the cord and "acorn" went South, leaving only about three inches still attached to the switch.

It took some serious patience and a very strong pair of glasses to tie a new knot in such a short piece of cord, and I don't think I'll get away with it again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back