Shower Thermostat/Valve Plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My shower thermostat control is faulty but I can’t seem to remove the control knob as there are no retaining screws. I think the knob is turning freely and may have stripped the splines.

The thermostat control is one of three controls on a flush mounted faceplate.

Does this sound like it can be repaired or do I need to replace the entire plate? And how is that control knob retained anyway?

Sponsored Links
Just in case anyone is able to assist, it's a "concealed shower valve - 3-way diverter valve". The top control is to switch the flow on, the bottom control is to switch between the overhead shower and the hand shower hose attachment. The middle control is the thermostat.

I saw a video online and removed the grub screw from the thermostat control after removing a small chromed grommet/cover. Unfortunately, the control knob cannot be removed so I'm at a loss as to how I can get at the thermostat cartridge.

Any ideas?

Post pictures please. If grub screw had been removed , then usually just held on to the spline. They get encrusted with limescale and often have to be " persuaded " off. Pouring very hot water over them may help.

Thanks for the reply - here's what it looks like:

ShowerValve.jpg

By very hot water, do you mean out of a kettle?

Sponsored Links
Yes very hot ,it expands the metal handle and may help. You need to remove all three handles and the chrome plate to expose / remove the valve body from its housing. And of course the cold and hot water to the shower must be isolated before removal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back