Help cannot get thermostat out of shower body

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have a bristan pisa shower. I am trying to replace the thermostat cartridge but cannot get the old one out. I Have removed the control knobs, retaining plate & plastic washer but it will not budge. Have tried hitting it with a hammer to loosen any limescale.

Tried turning it but it will not move - though i'm not sure if it actually does turn so have not put much pressure on.

Any ideas appreciated

thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it held in by a plate and two screws? remove the screws, remove the plate, remove the cartridge.

Breesey said:
Is it held in by a plate and two screws? remove the screws, remove the plate, remove the cartridge.

Yes, I have removed the plate & the nylon washer behind it but the cartridge will not budge.

OK. You need a slide hammer or some other way of pulling the cartridge from the valve body! Easier said than done I realise but there is no other mechanical device holding the cartridge in.

Sponsored Links
Breesey said:
OK. You need a slide hammer or some other way of pulling the cartridge from the valve body! Easier said than done I realise but there is no other mechanical device holding the cartridge in.

thanks - do you know if it is keyed? I mean will it turn (doesn't seem to want to)?

I would think that the two screws prevented it from turning?? when the control knob was turned but there could also be an orientating key.

I take it that you don't yet have the replacement cartridge?

Breesey said:
I would think that the two screws prevented it from turning?? when the control knob was turned but there could also be an orientating key.

I take it that you don't yet have the replacement cartridge?

I have the replacement & it doesn't appear to have any locating bits so it looks as if it may turn, however as there is a nut on the end i'm not 100% confident.

I'm going to email Bristan & see what they say.

Thanks for the replies

Pour lots of boiling water over it - everything grows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back