shower tiling and silicone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, am looking for some advice about the botom row of tiles in the shower, where they meet the shower tray and the gap that I should leave for silicone.

Some backgound. The walls are Aquapanel and I've also tanked them, taking the tanking onto the tray (about a tile depth).

My plumber who does bathrooms says I should leave the smallest possible gap between botom of tile and tray.

I thought if it was too small it would be hard to get any silicone in. I have cut some tiles but not stuck them on yet and left about 4 to 5 mm.

Plumber says this is too large and will have trouble with silcone. He says aim for 1 mm.

I'd be grateful for any advice thoughts on this matter.

Many thanks in advancd

Sponsored Links
Aquapanel doesn't need tanking.

I'd leave about a 2mm gap personally but it's not really that critical.

The size of the gap depends entirely on the size of your bead of silicone/sealant. The silicone/sealant is there to cover the gap between bath/shower and bottom row of tiles. There is no need to fill the gap with sealant or grout. There should be sufficient space for the bath to move up/down and of rout/silicone is there, then the movement is going to be restricted. I personally leave a 2mmish gap by eye. Sometimes it doesn't look a uniform gap but when the silicone/sealant covers it, you would never know.

If you have left 5mm, your silicone/sealant will be at least 5mm wide (probably more considering the curve).

As for aqua-panel not needing tanking, I agree - as the water cannot damage it. However, if there is no "lip" onto the shower tray or bath, where does the water go? Straight down the entire substrate and into the floor. Keeps going down and if it is not ground floor, then it will come slowly through the ceiling, probably causing what is known as tea-staining. If aqua-paneling, use silicone around shower/bath so it stops the water going all the way down.

So no problem in tanking on this one - probably less cost effective though.

Hope this helps.

There is no need to fill the gap with sealant or grout.
What's going to fill it then?

As for aqua-panel not needing tanking, I agree - as the water cannot damage it. However, if there is no "lip" onto the shower tray or bath, where does the water go? Straight down the entire substrate and into the floor. Keeps going down and if it is not ground floor, then it will come slowly through the ceiling, probably causing what is known as tea-staining. If aqua-paneling, use silicone around shower/bath so it stops the water going all the way down.
Exactly.

Sponsored Links
m4rkh";p="759796 said:

Nothing - room for movement.

And water methinks, even with tanking I would still fit silicone, I cannot recall ever seeing a shower without a sealant around it. Makes keeping your shower clean easier as well.

Bilioustrumpstaine";p="760076 said:

Nothing - room for movement.

And water methinks, even with tanking I would still fit silicone, I cannot recall ever seeing a shower without a sealant around it. Makes keeping your shower clean easier as well.

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick here. You should always use silicone around a shower/bath. What you dont need to do is ensure the silicone squeezes under the bottom row of tiles. The silicone can just cover the gap which will leave room for the bath to move. Most tile adhesive manufacturers recommend that you shouldn't fill with silicone as it restricts the movement.

Not being funny mate, but how exactly do you stop the silicone from going under the tiles? Am I to understand that the siliconing jobs you have done are just stuck to the corner of the tile?
That's simply not the way it's done.

Not being funny mate, but how exactly do you stop the silicone from going under the tiles? Am I to understand that the siliconing jobs you have done are just stuck to the corner of the tile?
That's simply not the way it's done.

no worries mate - there is no way you can stop all of it from going under the tiles. some will.

That is the way it is done. Been trained through BAL and asked Weber too. Don't think it causes too many problems if you fill under the tile with silicone as most has a +/- 50% movement.

Don't think it causes too many problems if you fill under the tile with silicone as most has a +/- 50% movement.
Customers pay you to know, not to think. ;) :LOL:

Can't work out whether that is advice or arrogance so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Trust me - I know what I am doing.

Don't think it causes too many problems if you fill under the tile with silicone as most has a +/- 50% movement.

And instead of picking up on the usage of my words, why not further comment on the fact you think I am incorrect? Are you still standing by that?

And instead of picking up on the usage of my words, why not further comment on the fact you think I am incorrect? Are you still standing by that?
No, I think you are spot on - you don't think it causes too many problems... I know it doesn't cause any problems. :LOL: Incidently, if you are new to all this forum malarky, a winking smilie (as posted) means that the statement was meant in a teasing way. ;) Chill.

No, I think you are spot on - you don't think it causes too many problems... I know it doesn't cause any problems. :LOL: Incidently, if you are new to all this forum malarky, a winking smilie (as posted) means that the statement was meant in a teasing way. ;) Chill.

Ok Dude - cheers :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back