Shower tiling screw up? See photos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I may have screwed up laying the first row of tiles in my shower. First, you can check out some photos here:

http://www.easylaundry.com/tub/page1.htm

I've tiled several floors successfully, but this shower kicked my butt. The problem seems to be the framing around the tub is flush against the tub on the faucet side (side a) and the long side (side b), but sits about 3/4" back from the edge of the tub on the side opposite the faucet (side c.)

This means that the backer board on side c goes behind the edge of the tub and does not sit on top of the tub. In fact, there's a 1/4" gap still between the tub and backer board.

My guess is that I'm going to need to tear down side c and replace with a thicker backer board. Does that seem correct? Or can I just fill what I have with caulk? I would think filling that large of a gap with caulk would be unsightly and unsound, but thought I'd let some pros weigh in hear before breaking out the slege hammer.

PS. How much would it cost someone to come and and do the whole thing? Labor only, as I have all the materials on hand. Anyone in Austin TX want to put in a bid? Ha ha. No, I'm serious...

Sponsored Links
Jeezus dude! Did you dip those tiles in the bucket of adhesive or what?!

Can you not put up another piece of "backer board" to cover the gap?

If your bath (tub) is not perfectly level, you should have put up a batten just less than a tile high from the bath (tub). Lay the tiles on that then when they have set, remove the batten and tile down to the bath (tub).

Jeezus dude! Did you dip those tiles in the bucket of adhesive or what?!

lol sorry I know I shouldn't laugh :(.

The problem to me is that it looks like either the tiles are too big or the bath is minute; just doesn't look right.

Sorry I can't offer any advice; not done tiling yet so I know my post doesn't help. Just couldn't believe how those tiles looked :evil:.

Sponsored Links
Tozzy said:
The problem to me is that it looks like either the tiles are too big or the bath is minute; just doesn't look right.

I have to agree it does look odd, I thought it was a wind-up at first with a mini bath. I personally would use a smaller tile. As suggested earlier a level batten around the bath to make sure your first row is square, then cut tile when the batten is removed to the level of the bath. You could cover the gap with some form of plastic tile trim, I'm not sure of the products available in the US though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back