Shower trap arrangements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm refitting a shower cubicle that was part fitted previously by a total bodger. I haven't done major bathroom work before but think I understand the principles. The supplies are in place and I'll get a electrician for the sparky bits (it's a fancy power shower with steam etc).

First stumbling block is the waste. The shower cubicle was supplied with a trap and flexible waste to interface with a 40mm coupling. The flexible hose is cracked so I'm trying to replace it. Also, during the disassembly I damaged a spigot on the trap which was to allow a steam generator drain
to T into the waste.

Here is the original setup, you can see a hole where the spigot should be for the steam drain.

IMGP0589.JPG

My plan to deal with the steam drain is to use a spigot pipe intended for a kitchen waste, such as this: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plu...ce+Half+Trap+76mm+Seal+40mm/d20/sd2907/p52069

I'll connect a rubber hose to that and will hash something up with copper reducers to go into the 10mm hose. I'll just bung up the hole from the original, I've got some fibreglass for car repairs so thought of using that for a small patch.

I've bought a replacement 40mm flexible hose but have realised the trap has a smaller threaded section than a standard 40mm connector, although the other end of the original flexi waste was to suit 40mm. The thread mates up with the ends of the spigot pipe as above, I presume this is the standard for 32mm connectors?

IMGP0584.JPG

Since I've got stuff that fits then I could do quite a neat setup like this, then connect my 40mm flexi and all would be well in theory. I'm worried though that the simple O-ring on the spigotted pipe won't be up to the job in the long term, I guess it's not intended for horizontal runs.

IMGP0588.JPG

What are you thoughts and any proposed alternatives?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Just buy a new trap. It's really not worth the risk of having a bodge repair fail.

Perhaps here or here might be of help :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Those links are to similar but not quite identical traps, but might be worth going for, thanks. My real problem though is what to connect to this, assuming these also have the weird outlet thread intended for bespoke flexi hose (which was evidently too flimsy for purpose). Are the smaller threads on my spigot pipe actually to suit 32mm connectors - if so I could use a 32-40mm adapter and go straight into 40mm pipe and my new flexi hose down the line.

The shower tray/unit weren't from ebay - they're from some firm called Indigo Showers. There are similar things on ebay though. It's my mother's and the tradesman she employed to fit it put it together out of square, in the wrong place, the wrong way around, etc - you get the picture. She had to just pay him off to get rid and now I'm trying to rectify it. I don't live locally so have had to do the cleanup, silicon removal etc, a bit at a time.

I'm pretty sure I can fibre-glass up the hole successfully and I'm sure my steam outlet hose reducers would work ok, so I don't really see that as a bodge. What I'm worried about is using that spigotted pipe horizontally, as the seal arrangements don't look as good as normal compression fittings. I'm keen to get on and do it rather than wait for a new trap to arrive so would appreciate it if anyone can comment re this pipe used horizontally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back