shower tray advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im planning on installing a 40mm slimline acrylic shower tray 1000x900.I want shower tray to be level with finished bathroom floor.my question is what thickness should the morter bed be under the tray and how much will this compress down? Was thinking 30mm bed compressed down to about 20mm.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean as level as the bathroom floor? It definately needs to be level to level.
I assume you mean the same height / flush?

If so consider how you will joint the two and also the level of drains etc. My shower standing area is the same height as the bathroom floor as I didn't want to step up into it, the elevation is a.couple inch up with a corner trim to join the two and make waterproof for any splashing.
This way it also hides any slight out of level better than trying to make the edge perfectly flush - my house is 120yrs old so the bathroom floor wasn't level, but the tray is, you don't want.it.flush at one end and a lip at the.other(!)

As for mortar I think.i went.with 30-40mm or so, it'll tap well anyway.
The installation guide should give you a thickness?

Thanks for reply
I want top of tray level with finished floor im starting from scratch with floor, took all joists out so drainage etc isnt problem, can put joists where I want so i'm working from finished floor level down,havn't bought tray yet so dont have installation guide

What's your intended floor covering?

Could you set in one of those 'wet room' style floor trays?
Makes sense if you are going from scratch.

Sponsored Links
floor is going to be tiles decided to have shower tray for various reasons cost mainly,just posted a simple question, didn't want to get into different options only small project small budget allready looked at all options decided to go with shower tray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back