Shower Tray - is it sensible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty new to plumbing, but have taken on renovating our bathroom. I haven't yet bought the shower tray but am looking at a low-level ceramic one. I have a couple of questions:-

1. I have seen comments on the forum about considering the line of the floor joists when planning such an installation. My floor joists (8" x 2") run at right angles to the direction the waste would need to run. Is it not sensible to consider drilling holes in the floor joists to run the 40mm waste pipe underfloor? I'd need to drill through 3 joists to get to the soil connection under the bath.

2. I've read various versions of how to fit a ceramic shower tray on a suspended floor. My floorboards are pretty sound and level. Is it acceptable to lay the shower tray directly onto them, perhaps with a bed of sand & cement?

Many thanks
Cal

Sponsored Links
if you drill through the centre of a 8" joist how do you think your going to push a 40mm length of waste pipe through ?

are you going to tile the bathroom floor if so ply under the shower tray as well as the rest of the floor.

what floorboards have you got 2ft wide or 4" wide ?

if you drill through the centre of a 8" joist how do you think your going to push a 40mm length of waste pipe through ?
Joists are at c.18'' centres, so enough room to work on pushing waste through. I could even put it in small jointed sections if an 18'' gap isn't enough to bend longer lengths of 40mm wastepipe.
are you going to tile the bathroom floor if so ply under the shower tray as well as the rest of the floor.
Was thinking of vinyl floor, but over hardboard or MR MDF as I've seen tiles on a floorboard floor be a bit unstable.
what floorboards have you got 2ft wide or 4" wide ?
Floorboards are 5.5'' wide.

Cheers
Cal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back