Resinlite shower tray - legs or no legs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All - this is my first post. I've looked at diynot alot, but not actually joined until now!

I'm doing an ensuite project and have reached the shower tray installation. I have a resinlite tray and need to decide whether or not I need to use the Easy Plumb kit I've been supplied with to raise the tray up (legs, baseboards, trim etc). I'm mounting the tray onto a suspended floor above the garage, and have easy access from underneath.

I'm wondering whether I can mount the tray almost directly onto the floor boards (maybe with 18mm of marine ply, and some cement to provide a leveling layer).

The drop for the waste is ample because I have 150mm joists - and the run is only 3m to the main downflow pipe. So the trap can protrude through the floorboards, and hang down into the joist cavity - and there will still be ample room for the waste pipe slope in the joist cavity.

So can I (should I) not bother with the raised installation (legs etc) and just mount really close to the floorboards?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
As you have the space to do it then go for it. There is nothing to be gained from fitting legs to it but you'll be wise to provide an access trap to it from below when you double board the garage ceiling.

Thanks Daz - that's really helpful. On the subject of boarding the garage ceiling - I have to redo the entire garage because its Asbestos :(. What would be a good material to use? And what do you mean by "Double-boarding"?

Think I might even draw a diagram of the shower trap on the ceiling for the benefit of future home-owner!!

cheers

Mat

Double boarding refers to fitting two layers of plasterboard with all the joints staggered so you don't have joints directly in line with another from the first layer of boards. It then receives a plaster skim finish which will bring it to Building Regs standard for rooms above integral garages. It's for obvious reasons of fire safety and also exhaust fumes etc...
But remember if you fit an access for the trap it will also need to maintain the same integrity of the ceiling in terms of thickness and effectiveness.

Sponsored Links
Also remember to use fire-rated pink plasterboard. I can't remember when double-boarding whether you need two layers of pink or whether one of pink and one of normal is sufficient. If the latter is the case consider doing a layer of blue sound-insulated board followed by a layer of pink fire-rated, it'll reduce noise transmission from the garage to the living space

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back