Shower tray isn't level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I put in a quadrant shower tray as part of my bathroom rebuild. Everything else has gone pretty much to plan and I am nearly finished tiling however its became apparent that the tray is out by quite a bit.
Its a 1000 x 800mm tray. Its level on the long side but the shorter side is out by about 10mm. I have no idea how I managed to do this, we checked it when we put it in, I can only think it sank a bit as it set (its sand and cemented in).. I have already tiled the floor around it and plumbed it all in, I only noticed when I tiled around it :(

Obviously taking it up now is an absolute last resort but if I put the shower cubicle on the tray as it is there it wont sit flush against the walls. Luckily it shouldn't effect how the water drains as the slope is towards the waste.

Would it be possible to use packers at the lowest point and then sit the cubicle on top to bring it level?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
10mm is quite a lot, where did you want to put the Packers? I think you need to look at the design of the cubicle screen carefully, a glass fixed panel you can get away with a lot more than a curved slider just due to the mechanism needing to be level.
If the tiling is yet to be done can you lift the tray up with some of those rubber sucker's and add more cement mortar then tap it back down?

Hi. I did all the plumbing via a lofted board to the side of the tray which is now tiled over. I'm not sure how easily the tray will lift but I imagine it's going to be a nightmare to lift back up. Then I'd have to find a way to plumb it back up.... Easiest way now would possibly be via a hole in the ceiling bellow!
The cubicle is a double sliding door type

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem. When i put a tray in the top of the tray was level on the spirit bubble, but the base didn't slope correctly towards the drain and it didn't drain properly.

Ultimately, there was no short cut. The enclosure came off and the tray came out. I had to break and replace a couple of tiles in the bottom row to get the tray out, but it was the only way to get the tray to drain correctly. Your case sounds worse in that if you don't take the tray out the enclosure is never going to work properly.

Taking tiles off isn't the end of the world.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back