Shower tray upstands - rebate or flush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've boarded my shower alcove with marmox. Got to fit the tray now. If it has upstands (which a lot of people seem to recommend), do they need to be rebated into the wall? I'd rather not dig into the marmox, I was planning on shoving the tray up to the boards with a nice bead of polymer sealant.

Sponsored Links
Presuming a tight, exact fit for the tray between the Marmox boards?
Then just slide it in and seal it (round the upstands) to the boards with silicone.
The tile will come down over the upstands to stop 2mm to 3mm above the tray rim.
When tiling and grouting is complete then seal the 2mm to 3mm space with silicone - dont grout it.

That's what I planned, but then I saw lots of stuff about rebating the upstands. I've done the boarding carefully, it's pretty much perfectly true.

I advised you on the basis of what you have.

I "rebate" my installations, and then there's no chance of the tile adhesive having to be thickened up for the tile to pass the upstand - but I install differently anyhow.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Would it still be better to buy a tray with uostands then, or one without?

No, keep the one you have assuming, as I said, that its a tight fit.

edit: just re-read your last post.
So you've built the shower surround without having a shower tray on site.
You originally said that your tray had upstands?

Last edited:
Sorry, I was unclear. Ib have the old tray (Coram with three upstands) and was planning to replace with the same one. But when I read about sinking the upstands into the wall, I wondered if I should just get a flat tray. I've only built two corners so far so I have some flexibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back