Shower Trays

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to change my shower tray, re-tile surround etc, but am having trouble finding a tray to fit into the recess which is precisely 850mm x 850mm. The original tray is smaller, 750 x 750mm and you've probably guessed it by now, the shower put in by the original (bodger's), sorry 'builders' made up the gap with a tiled shelf at tray level and it leaks. surprise, surprise!

I have been trying to find an 850mm x 850mm tray, but with no luck. The nearest I can find is 900mm x 800mm, which would be ok, I think, as I could use the 900mm width and 'let it in' 25mm each side. However the walls either side are plaster-board with studding which I may have to chop out a bit to slide the tray in. Is that OK? Anyone got any other solutions?

Regards

Laurence

Sponsored Links
i would have thought that if you "let in" your shower tray you will get more trouble than you have now because you will have 25mm worth of water in the wall

I think that assuming the sides of your tray will accommodate being let in to the wall an inch each side and still allow enough for a tile to sit easily onto then it will be fine. I would make sure you seal the tray in at the point where it meets the wall before you tile on top as well and then seal the joint of tile and tray while you are stood in the tray so it won't stretch apart when you stand in it to use it.

I agree with breezer, and if you are going to chop about at plaster board, I would expect loads of trouble. What about forming your own shower base from tiles. This allows you to make it the size you want.

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
I agree with breezer, and if you are going to chop about at plaster board, I would expect loads of trouble. What about forming your own shower base from tiles. This allows you to make it the size you want.

You must be mad! I think you'll find tiling a shower base is against building regs upstairs when the subfloor is chipboard. Know of any good grout?

breezer said:
i would have thought that if you "let in" your shower tray you will get more trouble than you have now because you will have 25mm worth of water in the wall

Breezer, the top of the tray I have in mind has a 50mm flat surrounding edge, so if I let in 25mm, then tile down onto the flat surrounding edge say a 6mm tile plus 2mm adhesive total 33mm, then this leaves 17mm of flat surrounding edge before the radius down into the bottom of the shower tray. What do you think?

Laurence

in that case i would be inclined to run a bead of silicone 5mm around the edge of the tray before it goes in the wall (just in case) and leave a 25mm gap from the bottom of the plaster board to the top of the shower tray so capilary action can not take place. Also make sure there is well "installed" silicone sealant around where the tiles butt to the shower tray, and always use genuine silicone sealant.

one other thing as it is a plasterboard wall, may have the problem of the studwork being in the way.

another thought it may be that the grouting "seal" has "gone" on your existing shelf.

Why not lift the shelf and the row of tiles above it and put a pond liner (i am not joking) behind the tiles and put the edge into the shower tray, re tile and cut the excess liner off, but dont grout this gap, silicone the liner to the tray.

my thinking is that any water that does get through will be caught by the liner and run back into the shower tray.

as for oilman's suggestion he is a heating engineer and was only trying to be helpful. i think "are you mad" was a bit strong

oilman wrote:
You must be mad! I think you'll find tiling a shower base is against building regs upstairs when the subfloor is chipboard. Know of any good grout?

Thanks for the courtesy, something comes to mind "what goes around, comes around"..........

yea considering your asking for advice(and oilman gave you some) that was out of order

btw people have called me mad before...ive always thats beside the point :LOL:

AR

Tiling a floor is not mad at all but a standard procedure. In effect a small "wet room". Ask in a tile merchants - they'll steer you if you want to go that way. YOU would be mad if you thought tiles could go straight onto chipboard!

Using plasterboard behind shower tiles is asking for trouble. Lost count opf how many times I've seen it fail, though of course it's done a lot and most do get away with it. "Aquapanel" etc is much better.

Sorry oilman didn't mean to offend, yes I guess I was out of order, it's alway difficult to explain the exact situation in words then people don't get the full picture. Maybe a drawing or photo would have helped. You Know, " A picture paints a 1000 words" etc.

Maybe I should have kept to my original Question, " Has anyone come across an 850mm x 850mm shower tray?"

Laurence

Using plasterboard behind shower tiles is asking for trouble. Lost count opf how many times I've seen it fail, though of course it's done a lot and most do get away with it. "Aquapanel" etc is much better.

The shower in my house needed replacing recently due to brown staining spreading outwards across white walls (damp) from tiled shower cubicle and outwards. I assumed water was getting behind the grout somehow but then found out (when replacing everything) that water was getting between tray and wall then soaking up and out via the plasterboard (capillary action). It seemed to spread up and out about a metre high and a builder told me that this is because capillary action is only strong enough for a metre. So plasterboard should never go down to the tray in my opinion. What I did was rip out the old plasterboard to about four to five heat high and replaced it with Hardiebacker board (at the very least you should make the last few inches in something not affected by water). I also tanked the whole area, coating the backerboard and plasterboard to the full height of the shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back