Shower type recommendation please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric shower in a loft conversion that looks like it belongs in a museum.

I am replacing it as part of refurb.

It has one cold feed (15mm) which I assume is mains pressure.

I have removed the shower unit and measured the pipes flow output at 14 l/min at fully open. That flow rate looked quite healhy to me!

Can someone confirm I just need a electric shower rated as high - as much as I want to pay. It looks like it has a 10mm2 electric feed on a 50A breaker at the Consumer Unit so I assume it can go at least as high as 11KW.

Any good site recommedations welcome.

Thanks, Scott.

Sponsored Links
You also need to know the working cold mains pressure up there as well.

You need to have the electrics checked and all the earths checked in the shower/bathroom before starting.

Don't just go by what you think is 10mm2 :rolleyes:

OP it's 10mm csa (cross sectional area) not 10mm2 (squared) there is a world of difference.

If you don't handle cables frequently enough to recognise them by eye, a handy trick is to get a few T&E cable clips of various sizes, (write on them with a permanent marker) and try them for size.

Is particularly useful for less common sizes like 4mm and 16mm

You can carry them in your pocket as long as you remember to take the pins out first.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help Gents. It is 10mm2 CSA definately. Checked with a micrometer just to satisfy your good selves :) I have a big roll of 10mm2 to compare against.

Cold mains pressure. Do I REALLY need to know that? I know the specs that come with the shower say between X bar an X bar but is it absolutely necessary to check? Can I just suck it and see? Returns policies are pretty good these days :)

If 14l/min sounds strange then please let me know and Ill get a pressure gauge off someone.

Earth wiring - yes good point. Ill get a sparky mate to check it out.

Thanks, Scott.

Returns policies are good for unsed/un-installed equipment, not equipment that is perfectly good but has been bought in error due to you not checking your water pressure :rolleyes:

I agree....I will try my best to get it right first time.

If I don't, Ill have to resort to the way my wife shops for shoes... :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back