Shower unit help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope you all have some good helpfully info!! The people next door to me asked me to take out there bath and put in a shower unit for them!! As I did there kitchen for them!

So

1= I have never done this before! Have done plumbing tho!!

2= the shower unit is metal I think, it's going onto the floor boards so what's the best way to fit it? Using mortar? As I have read a few people doing it this way, but is this the best way? I was thinking about doing it this way and silicon the sides as well what butt up against the wall?

3= also what is the mix for the mortar? 5 parts sand to 1 part mortar? Do you need a wee tiny slant in the shower unit or does it need to be straight level as the waste pipe exit slanted anyway?

Last but not least, shower doors do you tile then drill thru tiles and put raw plugs in for the shower doors to get fixed up on?

Many thanks for all help in advance,

Paul.

Sponsored Links
1= I have never done this before! Have done plumbing tho!!
Should be a doddle then.

2= the shower unit is metal I think,
What is it an old bath tub ?

it's going onto the floor boards so what's the best way to fit it? Using mortar?
I wouldn't fit straight onto floorboards only wbp.

As I have read a few people doing it this way, but is this the best way? I was thinking about doing it this way and silicon the sides as well what butt up against the wall?
You always silicone the edges to the wall etc before tiling.

3= also what is the mix for the mortar? 5 parts sand to 1 part mortar?
That'll be ok dryish mix

Follow the mi's they'll tell you what to use.

Do you need a wee tiny slant in the shower unit or does it need to be straight level as the waste pipe exit slanted anyway?
No or you won't get your door etc level on the tray, the slopes already built into the tray.

Last but not least, shower doors do you tile then drill thru tiles and put raw plugs in for the shower doors to get fixed up on?
Yes tile first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back