Shower Valve and Combi Boiler Questions.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a bit of background before I begin: I’m currently having an extension built with an additional bedroom and ensuite bathroom. Due to the extra capacity required from the heating system I’m removing the hot water tank and installing a Worcester 42CDI Condensing Combi boiler.

I have a couple of questions (bearing in mind I’m not very knowledgeable about plumbing and heating!!!)

1. I’m looking at showers and am going to go for a head and valve. When looking around (and I know you get what you pay!) I see there is a massive difference in price between shower valves. I have picked a manual one (what’s manual?) with built in divertor at £129 that’s reduced from £199 so figure this is decent quality, would that be correct? Also, what’s the divertor for? I see there are some for as much as £499 or so, why is this?

2. For the above boiler, is it likely that the pressure will be good enough without a shower pump?

3. Is the Worcester 42CDIa good boiler to go for, for a 4 bed detached property with 3 bathrooms, bearing in mind that it’s likely that only 1 bathroom will be in use at any one time.

Any info would be massively appreciated. Thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
Manual means not thermostatic
The diverter sends the flow to the bath OR the shower
Get a mixer with a known make if you want to be able to get spare parts in years to come
You can't add a pump, but you DO need good mains pressure and flow to keep a big combi supplied
Any combi is unllikely to supply more than one hot tap at a time - depends on your plumbing

Most of this has been discussed many times - search on combi, mains pressure and flow, etc

Sponsored Links
Manual means not thermostatic
The diverter sends the flow to the bath OR the shower
Get a mixer with a known make if you want to be able to get spare parts in years to come
You can't add a pump, but you DO need good mains pressure and flow to keep a big combi supplied
Any combi is unllikely to supply more than one hot tap at a time - depends on your plumbing

Most of this has been discussed many times - search on combi, mains pressure and flow, etc

Ok, cheers for the info. I'll have a good search on the topics suggested.

Sorry for my ignorance, but could you give me some good quality brands to go for. I

'm not saying money is no object, but I'd certainly rather pay for a good name to save the problems you say could crop up later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back