shower valve for combi system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, i have just fitted a shower valve which is compatible for any system including combis, do i need to fit anything else? check valves? to stop the cold flowing through and down the hot pipe etc.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
you only need check valves if the shower head whan taken off the riser will be lower than the bath.

jumpingjackflashman2 said:
hi guys, i have just fitted a shower valve which is compatible for any system including combis, do i need to fit anything else? check valves? to stop the cold flowing through and down the hot pipe etc.
thanks.

As a rule, you dont nomally need check valves.

you only need check valves if the shower head whan taken off the riser will be lower than [the hieght of] the bath. [i.e. below the rim of the bath]
Correct. This provision is to prevent bacteria leaking into the mains drinking water. However, so long as you keep your bath clean, and dont leave the head dangling in the water all the time (or in fact, at all!), you should be OK without the check valve.

Regarding the cold flowing back through the hot: if you have a combi, the pressures are neutral, so you dont need any povision to prevent backflow.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back