Shower Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone
I have just got a concealed shower valve - it has female threads for connecting hot and cold - they look like they could be tapered - do they have taper fittings on shower valves?
Also it has an elbow for fitting the hose / handset anyone any advise on how to fit these?
Thanks
G.

Sponsored Links
Most unlikely to be taper threads. More likely 15mm compression fittings (with the nuts missing!) or 'true' half-inch male BSP. Is it a new valve? If not, what are you attempting with it?

Even Grannies can tell the difference between male and female CC. :rolleyes:

Female threads aren't, as far as I'm aware, tapered. You can usually use a tapered OR parallel thread in them, with plenty of ptfe tape.
Other shower parts vary enormously - we need a pic or full description.

Sponsored Links
Sorry - don't have a camera you cheeky devils!
Measured the tapped holes - .954 internal diameter and as far as I can tell about 14 t.p.i. probably 3/4" b.s.p.
So now I need to connect 15 mm pipe to these.
What do you normally use?
Thanks
OhGranny

Er thet'll be plumbing fittings , then :LOL: :LOL: . Best take it to your local merchant. You can get soldered or mechanical compression adapters.

Right
I have got 3 X 15 mm compression straight connectors 3/4" male BSP they fit perfectly - do I use PTFE on these when I screw them into the valve?

The chrome (plastic !!) elbow that fits on the wall to connect the handset to has a female 1/2" thread - as far as I can see I will have a problem to fit this watertight, ensure that it is tight against the tiles and not pointing at some odd angle when tightened up.

I thought if I could get a flexible connector I could leave this protruding out of the hole and then push it back in when I have fitted the elbow then attach the elbow to the tiles with mastic (a little bit).
How are these usually fixed?
Thanks
OhGranny

do I use PTFE on these when I screw them into the valve?
Yep, lots of.

How are these usually fixed?
Badly,because the design is awful. Plastic pipe in the wall gives bit of movement. Got one to fit which cost about £65. That's rubbish too. Try a local plumbers merchant - you should be able to get something made of brass at least.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back