Fittings for concealed shower valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend fittings for my valve? I believe they are 3/4 BSP (and the connecting pipework will be 15mm plastic and a mix of straight and elbows). Will these do, with Loctite 55? It's that taper/parallel threads thing that I just don't get, and the thread seems quite short on these compared to the depth of the female!

Screenshot_20211112-131901.png

IMG_20211112_144403302.jpg

Sponsored Links
1. They should do.
2. The shower inlet shown has a flat face, and the adapter has a flat faced flange at the end of the threaded section. These are designed to have a fibre or rubber washer which is compressed between the two faces to create a seal.
3. If you don't want / can't get suitable washers (e.g. BES item 11473) Loctite 55 will provide a seal. You should rough up the male threads with an file to use it. You could also try Flomasta pipe seal (Screwfix 4373J). I find it gives a very good reliable seal with minimal effort. There is a Loctite equivalent (577 I think).
4. If you are using JG Speedfit pipe into the compression end of the adapter then:
4a. Use a copper olive rather than brass. The adapter may come with a copper olive.
4b. Don't forget the insert in the plastic pipe. This should be the one WITHOUT the extra O rings. E.g. Screwfix 64318. Use the "super seal" inserts with push fit fittings.

I would personally get 3/4 male irons x 15mm endfeed (soldered) pre-solder your tails first and then make male irons in with lock tight or ptfe.

Thanks. I think I'm going to go for the compression couplers, partly because I've never end feed soldered in my life and the thought of burying my first 5 attempts in a wall is a bit scary!
The only issue is that I did need 4 of the fittings to be elbows - but I guess that they may end up pointing the wrong way if I use the flange/washer. I think I'll have to use straights and bend formers for the plastic pipes and just chase them where they naturally lie.

Fortunately I have plenty of space on the wall:

IMG_20211112_160751814.jpg

Sponsored Links
1. If all the compression fittings are having the threaded end screwed into the shower valve, then I would seriously recommend Flomasta Pipe Seal or the Loctite equivalent.
2. Scrupulously clean the male and female threads.
3. Screw the threaded end as far into the valve as it will go. Then unscrew it just enough to get the alignment of the compression end is as you want it. You will have less than 5 minutes to make any adjustments.
4. Leave it all for an hour or so.
5. After that you can make the compression end connections / mount the shower valve as appropriate.

Just an update. I went with the straight compression couplers, Flomaster pipe seal and 26mm fibre washers - all bone dry and no issues on the valve side. I've never seen so many positive reviews for a product as that Flomaster stuff.

Went a bit wrong on the inlet side!
Originally used these plastic pushfit stem elbows:
IMG_20211123_111324485.jpg

Unfortunately they wept on the compression joints. I used copper olives and tightened them to an inch of their lives to stop it - which it did. On looking at the fittings the wall is much to thick to take an insert so I presumed this was the design:

IMG_20211209_112707883_HDR.jpg

Although they have been bone dry for weeks since the tightening effort I wasn't happy so have just replaced them with something called street elbows, which were dry with just normal tightness:

IMG_20211209_112535177.jpg

IMG_20211209_112549990.jpg

Overtightening compression fittings is almost as bad as not tightening them enough.... I would be using soldered fittings inside a wall personally, if you're not happy using End Feed look at Yorkshires. Bit more money but worth it for peace of mind.

Unfortunately, although I have done a bit of soldering, I have more confidence in those fittings than my soldering! I'll be keeping a few spare tiles in case I need access.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back