Shower wall covering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hope someone can help with this problem.

I'm in the process of revamping my downstairs toilet and installing a corner shower. Due to subsidence of a one piece concrete slab, which made made up the hall and toilet floor the project has been beset with problems.

The walls are 'Thermolite' type block with sand/cement render and plaster. One wall of the cubicle, due to the subsidence, has had to be jacked back up into place and underpinned and the other has settlement/drying out cracks around the block mortar lines.

I was going to tank and tile the cubicle walls but I am concerned that future movement within the walls will cause the tanking and tiling to fail and allow water to pass into the wall behind.

I've looked into installing the B&Q wall panels but the two lots of these I've had were not very good, they dented very easily (bang it with an elbow and it left dents) one lot the pattern did not match, the other had several manufacturing marks including no pattern on the face edge.

Another idea I've had is to bond some ply to the walls then bond some vinyl flooring to the ply; hopefully this would allow some movement without compromising the water integrity of the shower.

Any help, suggestions (but only clean ones) or opinions would be much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Sponsored Links
Have you looked into other shower wall products such as Mermaid or Multi-panel.

The multi panel is good an comes with all sort of trims. Neither are particularly cheap but I can say from experience that the multi-panel has lasted well. I did all the splash backs in a large commercial kitchen with it and it looks just as fresh 5 years on, Also it's so easy to keep clean.

I agree if there is any chance of movement, you should forget tiling. I would also ditch the plywood idea as well; for various reasons ply is not a good choice for use in wet areas even if you stick vinyl on it. I go with r896neo’s suggestion keep looking at better quality shower panel products.

I think I've posted this in the wrong forum section. Could someone with the know-how move it to the Tiling section for me.

Many thanks to r896neo and Richard C for their input.

I've looked into other wall panels but like Richard suggests, the good ones are very expensive.

There will be no right angle corner in the cubicle, as that corner will be boarded across at 45 degs to create a floor to ceiling service duct. Therefore, there will be at least one unavoidable cut edge in the 'water fall' area and I'd be concerned at being able to get a good seal onto the cut edge of timber backed products like Multipanel and Mermaid. I found one product that used Styrofoam for its core but I didn't save the info and can't find it again.

Like I said before any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There will be no right angle corner in the cubicle, as that corner will be boarded across at 45 degs to create a floor to ceiling service duct.
That’s not ideal & if I understand you correctly, will look rather odd; what are the services? is there no other route you can take? Create a false wall? Run the other side of the wall? How are you going to seal it against the top of the shower tray?

Create a false wall? Run the other side of the wall? How are you going to seal it against the top of the shower tray?

SPOT ON, i think you need to carefully think and plan things before attempting anything, and if you are in any doubt about any aspect, ASK before going ahead with things

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back