Shower waste doesn't go quick enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right guys bank holiday and its raining, time to have a go at the shower. Both my showers upstairs when your in them the water doesn't get away quick enough and starts to come over the tray. They've always done it and I end up taking the trap inlay out of the waste or turning it off for a while when I'm in it to allow the water to drain. I'm at a point now where I'm going to sort it. Either the showers are too powerful, the fall isn't enough for the waste or the pipes are not big enough? Where would you guys start first? If I fit larger pipes will they fit on a standard fast flow waste? Also one shower needs replacing should I fit a slower shower? The showers are mixer showers, any advise appreciated cheers

Sponsored Links
If you remove part of the trap and it all then runs fine ,the trap itself is suspect . Show pics of the trap components

We’d need to know the flow rate of the showers and possibly the waste flow rate capability. First place I would start if they’ve always done it is to check for a backfall on existing setup, check the levelness of existing tray, and make sure the waste pipe is capable.

Removing the trap used to work now it's doesn't as much even with it out so in my opinion it's either the fall isn't enough or the trap and/or pipes aren't large enough

Sponsored Links
If I fit a fast flow trap will I be able to fit a larger waste pipe or are they all standard?

The house is only 8 years old so I'm guessing it will already have 40mm pipe fitted tho?

Can u get larger than 40mm? If so will it fit on the trap as standard?

Shower trap outlets are made for 40 mm pipe usually ,as that's all you need ! Some traps for wet rooms are 50mm, but don't fit onto shower trays

There is no blockage its always been like it

You said that removing part of the trap used to let the water escape faster. The fact that it used to, but doesn't now would suggest that something has changed. A blockage does seem likely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back