Shower waste doesn't go quick enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I moved into a new build 8 years ago and the waste to both the upstairs showers never goes quick enough. The trays are really shallow as well so when you have a shower the water starts to come over the edge onto the floor. I'm not sure if the waste has the correct fall and can't get away quick enough? If I need a more fast flow waste if so can you recommend one? Or the tray is too shallow? As a result when we have showers we take the filter part out of the waste to allow the water to get away but we are now at a point where that doesn't work because I think they are getting blocked because there has been no filter so will be full of hair, any advice appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
Fast flow waste wont help anything if the pipework hasn't got sufficient fall or is restricting the flow. (Elbows will hinder flow, swept bends are better.) The 'Filter' you describe is probably the dip tube, which forms the seal to prevent odours coming back from the drain, removable to allow the outgoing pipework to be cleaned.

How easy is the waste pipework to access?

Yes thats it the but that stops the odour that fills up, I used to take that out and it would be OK but now with it out its backing up, I would have to take the floor up to access the pipework

Common issue, especially with high flow/pumped showers, the waste pipe simply cannot handle the flow. Could try using a 'Snake' or get someone in with pipe cleaning equipment to try and clean out as much of the run as possible, to see if that improves the situation, but if it's always been slow to drain I doubt that'll help much.

I appreciate it'll be a PITA, but would say the only long term solution is probably going to be upgrading the waste pipe to 50mm for as much of the run as possible.

Sponsored Links
Will the shower waste have an elbow? Only seem them on a sink waste? And yes been like it a while perhaps from the start and both upstairs do it so definitely a flow issue either the waste, fall or pipe size like you say

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back