Shower waste into rain water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. First post on here. I'm fitting a new shower and have a question regarding the shower waste.

I've determined that a rain water down pipe located close to my new shower runs directly into the main sewer.

With this in mind can I tap into this rain water pipe to connect up my shower waste and if so do I need some kind of hopper or will a strap on boss be ok ? Cheers Tony.

Sponsored Links
Assuming its a standard 68mm downpipe then you wont get any fitting to connect a waste pipe to it i'm afraid. The other bad news is that a hopper is not allowed under Building Regs unless as a direct replacement for an existing hopper. :(

Need to run new waste to either a stack or a foul water gulley.

Glad you checked this runs into sewars and not rainwater/flood drains Most DIYers wont!

Unfortunately as stated there are no fittings for what you require, how far is the nearest stack?

Thanks for your replies Hugh and Neds.

The rain water down pipe is 68mm square (about 2 1/2 "). Distance from shower waste to down pipe is about 1.5 m. I'll check my local DIY store for a 'strap on boss' to suit....... cause I searched in google with alarming consequences

:eek:

Sponsored Links
You wont get anything to fit that either i'm afraid. You need to rethink where the new waste is going to go to now!

If you connect anything into your square rainwater pipe using a branch fitting - from your local diy store - The Water Police will find you - they are everywhere- best go to the store incognito :rolleyes:

Just stick a Downpipe branch into it and stick your pipe in the hole. :eek:

There is no pressure - only gravity. It's like a mini hopper. Not best practice but if it means you need less plastic pipe all over your house - why not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back