Shower waste located over joists. Help with cutting joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to fit a shower tray but the waste trap falls directly over the joist. I need to cut a 20cm length by 15cm depth in the joist. The joist is 20cm in depth. Can anyone recommend a way of strengthening the remainder of the joist to allow the cut? Or better still recommend a waste that can be fitted over the joist and only requires 5cm or less clearance (e.g diverted waste trap?).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is it a square shower tray, and is the waste exactly in the middle (I'm wondering if it would help to turn it).

Or unless the tray was very expensive you might think about buying a different one :(

Or raising the tray up on blocks, and panelling round the front of it. I've found that to be a very good way of avoiding joist/solid floor probs.

Thanks chaps for the tips. It is a 1400 by 900 tray with the waste directly in the centre and my joist is exactly 700 from the wall it HAS to go against. I cannot turn it. I guess the answer is to raise it up. Would it just need support around the edges of the tray or under the standing areas too? Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Usually only the perimeter of the tray touches the floor, so that's the only part you have to support.

If yours is designed so that more of it touches the floor, you'll have to support that too.Some kind of WBP platform, I suppose.

It is an advantage to have a hatch in the side of the platform so you can get your hand in and change the trap when it leaks.

I reckon they're trying to get rid of them :LOL:

Hydrolux Walk in Shower Enclosure (PWAU0038)
Price (inc VAT): £864.96 £229.97
Saving £634.99 until 1/12/06

makes me think the original price must have been too high ;)

Looks like that has been notched out to take a standard p-trap Other alternative is a shower waste or shallow waste

Got one on my shower tray, which is raised up slightly and panelled at front. Waste is boxed in along wall where pipes run anyway, and just a fall outside into drain.

Just took the plunge and bought it (was going to buy for £399 on monday and I thought it was cheap then!).

It comes with a shower waste anyway (http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/433-16263

This waste has a depth of 10cm and it looks like the tray waste outlet is raised a good few cms from the tray floor level so hopefully I won't have to cut more than 2-3 cms out of the joist. I might strengthen the joist anyway. I guess this is done by screwing some reinforcing wood along the bottom of the joist each side.....?

Now I just need to work out how to replace an electric shower with just cold inlet to a thermostatic mixer with dual inlets (HW/CW) ;)
Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back