Shower waste problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced my shower tray in my ensuite and although i used the same size tray, the waste pipe doesn't marry up to the new trap.

The original waste pipe is 42mm pipe with glued joints and as such, I cannot move it over to point at the new trap.

I ordered a flexible waste pipe to solve my problem but it's 40mm OD and is therefore a) too small to fit properly in the new trap (cannot tighten compression fitting onto it) and b) too small to use in a 42mm --> 42mm coupler.

can anyone offer me any advice on how to get my waste connected up again? A 42mm flexible would be IDEAL!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cut the old pipe and run a new one in solvent weld pvc or abs - this is marketed as 40mm but in reality is 43mm which should fit.

I'd stay away from using a flexi on a shower as it would be liable to blockage.

yes, except mine has two ends the same (the smooth end, not the screw type end)

If it was 42mm, one end would fit nicely into the trap and the other end could go into a 42mm coupler.

thanks

Sponsored Links
my shower tray is a mira flight and im using the trap that came with it

anyone know what the official size pipe that it should accept is? is 42mm correct?

I tend to agree with mogget. However, if you are going to use the flexi, a universal coupler would do the trick (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11980/Plumbing/Uni-Compression-Waste/Universal-Compression-Waste-Straight-Coupling-40mm). Are you saying that you cannot get the flexi to hold tight in the shower trap?

yes, the trap seems to want a pipe larger than 40mm. if i put the end of the flexi into it it will not tighten onto it. if i put 42mm pipe into it, it tightens nicely.

i may very well try to get some solvent fittings and re-do the pipe. i'm just exploring different avenues.

In these situations, it's better safe than sorry, so go for the solvent weld.

ok, good advice

do you know of a decent guide to fitting solvent weld pipework? ie, best materials to use etc...

thanks for all your help, all of you.

Any manufacturer will be fine - marley, polypipe etc (B&Q, Wickes do these as well as any plumbers merchants).

Cut the pipes as square as possible, clean off any burrs with a bit of sandpaper (you can use the sandpaper to scratch/key the pipe and the inside of the fitting if you like), and dry fit it for size. Apply solvent adhesive into the fitting (don't scrimp on it, you need enough for the pipe to slip into place, but don't go mad either) and push the pipe into the fitting with a bit of a twist - if you can stick a cloth inside the fitting to remove any excess adhesive, it won't do it any harm.. Then leave it alone for a good hour or so.

Don't be tempted to inhale the glue - school mate of mine got into the habit for social reasons, lung collapsed and he died when he was 17.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back