Shower Water Feed Reversed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking to change our shower unit, However, I note that with our existing shower we have the hot water inlet on the right, and the Cold inlet on the left.
It would appear that this is the opposite of any standard bar shower configuration?

Looking at the pictures, there is a Fixed shower outlet and a hand shower outlet. It is possible to swap these around, which would allow me to turn the bar 180 degrees, and still connect the hot inlet to the hot water, and the cold to the cold outlet. The only thing being that the on/off images on the button are underneath (if that makes sense).

Having done that and connected up, I either get very hot water, or with a very slight turn of the temp button, very cold water. So questions are:
1) Is the temp issue due to a faulty thermostat?
2) Is this due to the bar being upside down affecting water flow?
3) If I fit the bar the right way up and have Cold water flowing into the Hot inlet, and Hot water flowing into the cold inlet will this just create further problems?

Attachments

• 20240105_155320.jpg
    20240105_155320.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240105_155409.jpg
    20240105_155409.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
hot water feed into the thermostatic cartridge which then mixes the cold. If you have the cold connected to the cartridge then the best you can hope for is luke warm water as the cold has a greater volume flow over the hot water. You can prove this point by switching it round and seeing the difference in temps

We are looking to change our shower unit, However, I note that with our existing shower we have the hot water inlet on the right, and the Cold inlet on the left.
It would appear that this is the opposite of any standard bar shower configuration?

Looking at the pictures, there is a Fixed shower outlet and a hand shower outlet. It is possible to swap these around, which would allow me to turn the bar 180 degrees, and still connect the hot inlet to the hot water, and the cold to the cold outlet. The only thing being that the on/off images on the button are underneath (if that makes sense).

Having done that and connected up, I either get very hot water, or with a very slight turn of the temp button, very cold water. So questions are:
1) Is the temp issue due to a faulty thermostat?
2) Is this due to the bar being upside down affecting water flow?
3) If I fit the bar the right way up and have Cold water flowing into the Hot inlet, and Hot water flowing into the cold inlet will this just create further problems?
It looks like a faulty unit to me, why should its orientation affect it as long as the H&C pipes are connected correctly?

Sponsored Links
hot water feed into the thermostatic cartridge which then mixes the cold.
Not sure if this is true - looking at the bar the cold water does feed into the side which has the thermostat even in its intended configuration. as IMO do most

Not sure if this is true - looking at the bar the cold water does feed into the side which has the thermostat even in its intended configuration. as IMO do most
Has it got H & C marked on it?

It might tell you something if you remove it and pour cold water into the outlet, water might then flow only from the "hot" port only, then pour very hot water into the outlet, water might then flow out the other "cold" port only, with nothing from the hot port.

so following your logic...my shower is set at 28 degrees for example. My hot water supply to the mixer is now coming in at 20 degrees (so it can't get any higher). If the cold water was always priority and always flowing, it would mean that the 20 degree water would be made cooler until the cold water flow was reduced but as bimetalic thermostats expand on heating, how would it know the water was already cold (or cooler than it expected)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back