Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've decided to get an Aqualisa Quartz shower. The pump/control unit needs 3A, and will physically be located in the loft.

Considering that i'm part way through my DIY rewire and therefore my options are open, what would be the best way to hook this up:-

1. New, dedicated 6A radial from CU, 3A FCU next to pump/control

2. 3A FCU spur off upstairs lighting circuit

3. 3A FCU spur off upstairs ring.

I'm thinking 2 is a bad idea really, since if the shower draws 3A then that halves the capacity of the lighting circuit.

(3) is probably easiest. If I spur off the back of a socket, must the spur be in 2.5mm at least until it reaches the FCU? or can it be in 1.0 or 1.5 ?

Second question, will the shower need adding to the supplementary bonding? the mains voltage is contained in the loft, but the buttons (which are low voltage, but prewired) are clearly in the shower area. Therefore they must be SELV, and the only mains is not in the bathroom. I'm thinking that it doesn't need bonding, but would appreciate the advice of experts.

Thanks

Slip.

Sponsored Links
option three gets the thumbs up,you could use 1.5mm to spur off the ring to the isolating switch and would be fine, but if you have been doing some re-wiring you should have some 2.5mm spare (belt and braces) to use

as far as the supplenentry bonding is concerned if the shower control is SELV as stated then as long as your bathroom bonding is up to spec i would`nt worry about it.

As a bathroom fitter I have installed many of these Aqualisa showers (good choice of shower) 1.5 cable would be fine with a 3a switched fused spur. The processor is outside the bathroom in the loft and the bonding is not required, the control button in your shower is totally waterproof and works at 5v through the telephone line type cable.

you MUST use 2.5 to spur from the ring (no if's or but's about it) to the fcu, 1.5 after will be fine

also are you aware of part P?

Sponsored Links
HI breezer, that's what I thought. yes, i am aware of part P, and am going through the building notice route to a diy rewire.

Hey breezer yes I am part P qualified and also check table 8A page 151 of your on site guide then page 152 conductor size.

Plumbfit said:
Hey breezer yes I am part P qualified and also check table 8A page 151 of your on site guide then page 152 conductor size.

Suggest you read breezers reply again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back