fcu spur off lighting circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope they didn't explain how, but they did sound like they knew what they were talking about, and they sent me a PDF.

This is German.

upload_2018-6-6_13-10-23.png

This is the French

upload_2018-6-6_13-13-4.png

Sponsored Links
Just been chatting to Manrose Technical.

Their euro installation instructions advise a 3A fuse and DP isolator with 3mm contact gap.

As the fuse is to protect the cable, not the fan on the end of it, do they use such thin cable that a 3a fuse is required?

Sponsored Links
Are those not just straight translations of the English?

Indeed. They are almost certainly aimed at non English speakers in the UK rather than European installations.

In answer to my question "As the fuse is to protect the cable, not the fan on the end of it, do they use such thin cable that a 3a fuse is required?"

NO. They ask for a minimum of 1mm sq cable which does not need 3a protection.

In answer to "Did they sound as if they knew what they were talking about?"

It would appear the answer is also NO.

Are those not just straight translations of the English?
On the basis of my very limited linguistic abilities, they certainly appear to be translations of a set of 'multi-national' instructions. For example, both the German and French versions say something along the lines of "All the cables must comply with the IEE regulations or, outside the UK, the local regulations". However, as has been implied, regardless of the language (hence, one assumes, target market) they cal for a DP isolator and a 3A fuse.

Kind Regards, John

In answer to my question "As the fuse is to protect the cable, not the fan on the end of it, do they use such thin cable that a 3a fuse is required?"
Apart from the fact that the assertion that "fuses are used [only] to protect the cable" is debated even in the UK, I, for one, do not know whether that same view/concept exists in other countries.

Why, I wonder, in the UK is their an upper limit to the rating of OPD allowed on a lighting circuit? It obviously can't be because cables with CCCs >16A don't exist - so, if one did use, say, 2.5mm² or 4mm² cable, the maximum permitted 16A OPD must be to protect something other than the cable, since higher-rated OPDs would be adequate to protect the cable.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed. They are almost certainly aimed at non English speakers in the UK rather than European installations..
It would be simple enough to ask them if those are the instructions provided when the products are sold in countries outside the UK (which I suspect is the case).

Kind Regards, John

However, as has been implied, regardless of the language (hence, one assumes, target market) they call for a DP isolator and a 3A fuse.

Kind Regards, John

And as we all know the 3a fuse (FCU) is not available or compliant in most of Europe. Also why 3a when the cable is 1mm sq or greater? They clearly don't know what they are talking about.

Perhaps you may like to talk to them to find out what's what?

On the basis of my very limited linguistic abilities, they certainly appear to be translations of a set of 'multi-national' instructions.
Or merely a translation of British instructions with no regard to foreign ones.

For example, both the German and French versions say something along the lines of "All the cables must comply with the IEE regulations or, outside the UK, the local regulations".
The British version also says that.
It is clearly just a straight translation with no consideration of other standards.

What exactly does "all cables must comply..." mean?

However, as has been implied, regardless of the language (hence, one assumes, target market) they cal for a DP isolator and a 3A fuse.
So, we cannot just employ the local regulations, then, nor, indeed just IEE ones?

The British version also says that. ... It is clearly just a straight translation with no consideration of other standards.
Fair enough, I hadn't got around to looking at the UK/English version. In that case, as you say, it seems that we are just talking about translations.
What exactly does "all cables must comply..." mean?
I also wondered that, but didn't talk about it since my point was that they were referring to 'local regulations' for use outside of the UK. I suspect that they are trying to say that not only must the cable be compliant with relevant regulations (e.g. of an adequate CCC, not bare conductors, or single-insulated ones {not in conduit} etc.!) but also that 'the wiring' etc. (i.e. how it was installed) should be compliant with local regulations - which would be fair enough.
So, we cannot just employ the local regulations, then, nor, indeed just IEE ones?
It's odd. If it can be confirmed that what we're seeing really are the instructions provided when the product is sold outside of the UK, they appear to be requiring/demanding ("muss", "doit être") fusing that would be difficult/impossible to provide outside of the UK. If that were the case, then there surely would be people "like us" in those other countries who would be making a fuss about wat their MIs were requiring?

Kind Regards, John

2. Clearly not actually accurate regarding the fixed wiring demand, fused spur (although we know what they mean), and cable type and size.
In terms of their leaflet more generally, you might have commented on the fact that a few of the products in their range are "Low Voltage" models :)

I suppose they can't really get out of that one, at least in the eyes of electricians. Even if they invoked the IEC definition which says that ELV is also LV, that still would not really justify (in the eyes of an electrician) calling the 12V models, but not the 230V ones, "Low Voltage"! However, as far as the general public are concerned, the terminology probably makes total sense (and actually communicates the important difference - in a way that calling 230V ones "Low Voltage" certainly would not!).

Kind Regards, John

They could include a bit to educate the public and use 12V and 230V.

Do you think they don't know? If not, does that bode well for the rest of the instructions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back