shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking at fitting a second shower in the upstairs of our house above the bath and was looking for some answers to the following:-

1. We have a shower room in a en-suite....is it possible to run both showers off the same cable? I thought each shower had to have its own wiring and RCD at the consumer unit.

2. It would be an electric shower......can you just take a tee off the cold water pipe that goes to the cold tap for the bath?...I thought the supply had to come straight off the cold mains supply without interuption.

Just wondering about the above as we have had a quote from a plumber and this is what he suggested.

thanks
trevor

Sponsored Links
1.NO, you cannot run two showers off the same cable, this doubles the load on it should 2 people be showering at the same time..

each has to have it's own breaker for the same reasons.. howeer they do not have to be rcbo's if they are on the rcd side of a split load board.. ( which you ought to have by now really, since kitchen, downstairs and showers should all be rcd protected.. )

2. since I am not a plumber i cannot be certain of this point but I don't see any problem with just teeing off the cold to the taps.. that's how mine is done..
it does however mean that if someone turns a tap on you will lose preasure and the shower will run hot..

You really ought to think about installing an interlock to prevent both showers being run at the same time.

If you run 2 large showers at the same time you put a very large load onto your supply which may cause problems.

Not a plumber either but most electric showers are mains fed and its possible your bath taps are fed from the storage tank in the loft if you have one If so you can tap into the tank main feed and put a boiler fix isolator in line for maintenance.

Sponsored Links
shower has to be mains water fed it will tell you minimum water pressure in instructions that shower will work at ..

btw they do make pumped instant heat showers that can be tank fed. They are unusual but certainly not unobtainable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back