Showerpump not switching off - Reed switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have a Showerforce turbo 2 shower pump (circa 2010) which doesn't like to switch off unless disconnected from the mains.
I have dismantled the unit and doesn't seem clogged or anything. I have also given it a darn good shaking to ensure that the (bits) <-- technical term - move about inside (as suggested on google search).
Also....when I isolate (turn off the hot and cold isolator taps) going into the pump....it stops.
Also, I have stuck a magnet to the reed switch on one side and it seems to stop the pump from running but when removed it carries on going.

I must note that when the pump is disconnected from the mains, the water still flows out (gravity fed).

So, I am thinking that the reed switch maybe faulty????
Another question is: How is the reed switch operated when there is no sign of a magnet?

Sponsored Links
The magnet(s) are usually in the section of pipework to which the reed switch is attached.

Either the magnet has become jammed in the channel or the reed switch may have moved.

Thanks Oilboffin. I emailed them this morning.....still no reply, will wait a couple of days and then ring them, although they will probably just tell me to purchase a new one as no serviceable parts. :(

Sponsored Links
So, the reed switch, when it comes to testing them (hot and cold side) should they be open circuit (Normally open) and a test would be to pass a magnet over it to make sure it makes a contact. Should this work?
I expect the problem lies within the tube part that the reed switch it attached to but cannot seem to get it open.
Q: Should the large propeller disc things (one each side for h and c) just pull off when the casing is opened up?
Cheers

Right, to update. I have taken the offending pump out and stuck a multimeter over the reed switch on each side and physically blown down the tubes and I can confirm that the reed switches turn on when blown through. (You can hear the magnet move when blown through).
Still getting problems.

Could the fault actually be with the mixer shower?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back