Showers Started Running Just Cold!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Weve recently had a new shower fitted (thermostatic mixer). The first shower we had was grand, the next one was tepid, and since then its been nothing but cold!!

My system is as follows: Mains cold, gravity tank hot, which is pumped to the shower. I thought it might be that the pump was draining the cylinder too quickly but we still get piping hot water out of the basin taps (which is teed off the same pipework as both the hot and cold feeding the shower).

It seems strange to me that the first 10minute shower we had was fine - surely if there was some sort of imbalance between the hot and cold pressures, the thermostatic would have kicked in immediately?

Any ideas what the cause and solution could be? Reluctant to change the mixer as its concealed and so has been tiled over!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Does the pump kick in and stay on when you run the shower?

It's sorted, I think!

The pump is 3 bar, but on testing the mains pressure it is 7bar! I've turned down the main stop for the time being with a view to getting a pressure reducing valve fitted so they're both around 3 bar.

Cold must've been overpowering the hot or something...!

Sponsored Links
Indeed - there will be non-return valves in the shower so the cold pressure would have been forcing the hot NRV closed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back