Showers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I'm in a quandary and would appreciate some advice before shelling out loads of money....

I have decided to install a power shower but the plumbing in my flat is causing me to delay ordering the necessary mixer & pump. I hope you can help me. I've checked the previous postings and the shower 'How-To's" but remain confused.

The details are:
Location - 2nd Floor Purpose-built flat
Hot water - Comes from a conventional immersion cylinder (50cm Dia and 85cm high) located on floor level. Directly on top of the hot water cylinder is a cold-water tank (20inches dia and water level 9.5 inches) that feeds the hot cylinder and also accomodates expansion from same. The immersion heater is timer controlled.
Cold Water - Comes directly to the taps from the mains. Pressure is substantial.

My Power Shower options seem to be:-

1) Mixer is connected to cold water from the mains and hot water from the cylinder via. a Negative Head Pump. Possible pressure differential problems here, I reckon.

or

2) As above but with a pressure-equalising valve fitted.

or

3) Cold water is from the tank above the hot cylinder. Hot water is from the tank. Both hot and cold are pressurised by a twin impeller Negative Head pump. The small size of my cold water tank makes me question this option. I estimate the cold tank to store no more than 50 litres and am not sure about the ability of the ballcock valve to supply it with adequate flowrate when the shower is operational.

I'd appreciate any advice at all.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back