Shrinking Window Plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

HNY

I had my double glazed windows installed by a reputable firm about 14 years ago and have been pleased with both the work and their support but they have now gone out of business. I have noticed that the plastic surround which links the frame to the reveal and sill are no longer sealed and that the gap appears to be quite significant - in some cases as much as 5mm. I did not really notice that there was such a large gap when they were originally installed. Is that size gap normal? Is there a special sealant to use to fill the gap. I was thinking decorators caulk given the need to paint walls and sills in the future. You might say it is no big deal whether it is that or silicon - would just like other views.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Silicone will shrink over time and after 14 years it's to be expected. The trims you talk about as the surround is usually caulked to the reveal to ease painting but the trims meet the window they are siliconed there, use low modulas neutral cure silicone, do not use caulk on plastic to plastic.......it looks rank!

Thanks Crank39 Really good information - gives me confidence that I will not waste time doing the 'wrong' thing. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back