Shuttering question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

For a one off shuttering job (4m x 1.5m), would you use sheets of 18mm shuttering ply or 18mm MDF?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Plstering

Its for a a vehicle pit, the walls will be 200mm thick, 4000mm long and 1680mm high.

The base slab will be 250mm thick, all concrete will be reinforced.

I'm thinking of using 100 x 75 for bracing the panels and cross bracing.

I've worked on many military solid concrete structures in the past: roofs, walls, columns etc and the joiners ""always"" used 18mm ply. Make sure it has plenty of release oil brushed onto the surface of the ply before you pour the concrete, it makes it much easier when releasing the shutters.

Sponsored Links
Hire some short acros, will be quicker and might even work out cheaper than all that 4x3.

18mm shutter ply. 50mm on edge by 100mm all round perimeter. 50x100mm vertical studs at 600 centres or two number50x100 horizontal studs one third and two thirds.
Starter bars from base, cast dove tail socket all round in base to form seal to junction. of bottom and walls. Trench props about £2.50 a week. Use plenty or you will loose her. Stick a poker in her. Cast sump hole in base.
Unless you make a really good job of steel work, walls are a bit slender for that depth. Lot depends on what sort of ground you are in. Your decision.
oldun. ;) ;)

Trench props about £2.50 a week. Use plenty or you will loose her.
could not agree more.

If there is one thing amateurs underestimate it is the power and weight of concrete. It is rather alarming watching 18mm ply bulge between 600mm centred studs.

Once it decides to go...... :eek:

Trench props about £2.50 a week. Use plenty or you will loose her.
could not agree more.

If there is one thing amateurs underestimate it is the power and weight of concrete. It is rather alarming watching 18mm ply bulge between 600mm centred studs.

Once it decides to go...... :eek:

thats why there are shuttering chippies... they would never use 600mm centres.. 300mm minimum

Thanks all for your valued advice.

Priced the wood today, didn't realise it was that expensive :cry: , asked a company for the cost of form hire, so I will know which way to go soon.

The hole is sheduled to be dug on the 7th April, so I'll post progress under the projects part of the forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back