Siberian Larch for Decking Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Would siberian larch be a good choice of timber to construct the frame for a deck ?

Would the cut ends still need to be treated ?

Would I be correct in saying that this type of larch would not require any protective maintenance from year to year ?

For a ground level deck how much space is recommended under the frame to provide good ventilation ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I had not heard of siberian larch so googled it and i must say 'nice grain patterns'. I would look into if it will split and skelf on the surface through sunlight/drying out over time(thinking if you are walking about in bare feet on it). I left a 1" air gap between the weed/breather membrane which was plastic spiked in place to stop it flapping and the underside of the joists

If you are open to looking at other softwood decks it might be worth taking a run up to
James Jones & Sons Ltd Timber Merchants
Tel: 01343 821421| Mosstodloch

They are the village immediately after the baxters factory, take the 1st right turn after the garage and they are 200Mtrs down there. I am very happy with the product although i did oil it.

Its a good choice - very durable, hard, strong and long lasting.

You may need to drill holes for fixing, as it can split easily on thinner section

You can leave it unprotected to weather naturally, no need to treat ends, though treatment will prolong life - although it will probably outlast you in any case

Any gap is enough - it will be vented from the sides and presumably from the gaps between the deck boards

Sponsored Links
Why get Siberian larch? You have loads of larch round Aberdeen, and plenty of people running small mill operations. There's certainly a few in the Braemar direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back