Sick vs dead conveyance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the misfortune to require paramedics a couple of weeks ago, following a bad fall at home.
The crew were brilliant at their job, the banter between them was a prime factor in their re-assurance to me as a patient, the AMU staff did a good job & I was home again after around five hours.
However the one downside to my treatment was the 20 min. ride in the ambulance, I've not had the misfortune to need to make such a journey for decades & it wasn't a pleasant experience. Being in considerable pain I found the ride appalling, despite the care taken by the driver trying to negotiate the many potholes & bumps in the road. I'm not a lover of oil burners but have to say that the mechanical noise levels were well subdued but every time the rear axle hit the slightest bump (speed ramps in particular) the bloody thing nearly took off.

Some of us are old enough to remember the Daimler DC27 ambulances, with their ballasted rear floors & balloon tyres designed specifically for the purpose of conveying the sick & injured in a degree of comfort, but here in the 21st century we get a converted box van. Strangely enough when we are deceased & beyond caring our final journey is in a vehicle based on a limousine chassis.

Stay safe folks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear about your fall. Hope you are recovering well.
Only time I've been in an ambulance was as a passenger to someone else needing medical treatment and never really took much notice of the ride.

I can vouch for ambulances being rough riders!

In 2014 I broke my right leg, a spiral fracture. Extremely painful. Even with Entenox & morph, and the driver going very slowly, the journey was uncomfortable.

NHS is bloody marvellous then if all people can to find to twist about is a bumpy road...

Sponsored Links
Daimler DC27 Ambulance.constructed to be a low as possible to assist crews with getting patients and stretchers in and out of the vehicle. The rear floor is a composite concrete construction which weighs 300kg and was intended to keep the rear wheels on the ground at all times and especially in the wet.

The first production models had ash-framed and metal-clad bodies built by the coach builders Baker & Co, while later models were built by Hooper. Although very similar, the chief difference is that the Baker bodies have two waist bands and the Hooper bodies only have the one.

Originally this vehicle was fitted with rod-operated brakes, but these proved unreliable and after some spectacular accidents they were replaced by more conventional hydraulic brakes.8.5 mpg...Not great Then..

Beats me why the beds in an ambulance aren't on sprung and damped mounts. Then the hospital wouldn't have to deal with ambulance-induced patient injuries :).

Some of us are old enough to remember the Daimler DC27 ambulances, with their ballasted rear floors & balloon tyres designed specifically for the purpose of conveying the sick & injured in a degree of comfort, but here in the 21st century we get a converted box van. Strangely enough when we are deceased & beyond caring our final journey is in a vehicle based on a limousine chassis.

Stay safe folks.

It's just like the God awful cars they churn out these days. Rock hard seats, interiors that are dark and gloomy and stiff suspension. Yes they do travel around a circuit really fast, but comfort has gone out of fashion when it comes to car design these days.

Nonsense.

Air conditioning.

Split controls.

Heated seats.

'Comfort mode' setting.

I don't remember my old Marina having any of those boyo.

I think you are missing the humour/sarcasm in R&C's post.

Sponsored Links
Back