Side extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Just looking at the planning portal to get a feel for what would be required to build a garage attached to the side of the house, But with no door directly into the house.

I can see that under permitted develpment that I could go no more than half the original width of the existing house across, but I couldnt work out how deep I could go. Ideally I would like to go the full depth of the house so about 14 meters by 3.5 meters ish. I would still have more than half the garden available. even with the sheds.

I can see if I built a non attached garage it eould be limited to 30m2. Not sure if this applies to side extensions.

Also is permitted develpment for a detached garage limited to one building only? or can you build 2 or more etc if you have the space. Also could these 30m2 structures be build back to back physically joined but not by a door.

hope im not being to vague I have thoughts in my head hopefully i got them into the post.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Don't forget that planning permission and building regulations are completely separate things, with different exemptions for each. Something which can confuse novices.
An attached garage will need building regulations approval regardless of how small or large it is. A detached garage of less than 30m^2 is exempt from building regulations providing it is built from 'substantially non combustible materials' or is more than 1m from a boundary. If you need more than 30m^2 of garage space and don't want to go though building regs then there is nothing stopping one from building more than one garage as long as the largest is under 30m^2.

The 30m^2 rule is only for building regs. For planning a detached outbuilding can be as large as you want providing not more than 50% of the garden area is covered by buildings or extensions (subject to height limits and other limits if you are building on 'designated land' or in the garden of a listed building).

An attached garage is treated as an extension and thus cannot be more than half the width of the house if built to the side but can be as long as the house and upto 3m beyond the back wall (but it cannot touch an existing rear extension if one exists!!)

Yes, the rules may appear confusing, arbitrary, stupid and full of loopholes and gray areas but that's the british goverment for you.

Sponsored Links
Yes I am familiar with the rules, you may consder them loopholes if you did not know they existed.

I was aware of the difference between the 2 and was trying to find a way of getting the space that I want in the place I want it with involving as few officials as possible as I want to keep fee's and buearocracy (spelling!!!) to a minimum. And I can adapt my approach accordingly.

Now something you mentioned about the rear extension. I dont have one, but I do have a 2 storey front extension. Although this is not forward of the original house as the now converted garage poked out the front a bit and the extension just built up to that.

Can a garage be joined onto a front extension?

I also have a side extensionporch so will take this into account when taking the width of the orriginal house into account.

Sorry you will need to clarify exactly what you had, what you or previous owners have added in the past, and what you would like to add. You can't just keep adding extensions under PD.

View media item 39096
The black line is the original house footprint

The red line is a 2 storey extension erected in 1975 (acorrding to a news paper I found stuffed behind a plasterboard wall hehe).

The lean too extension in green the part near the front has the front door and wc in. the part at the back has a outside door only and is like a tool shed. This was built after but not sure when and the seller had to buy indemnity insrance when we bought the place 2 years ago.

The blue bit is the part I would like to make a garage for 2 cars long plus a workbench etc.

So I wouldnt be going over the PD guidance limits in total but I will be improving what is there already.

view from the front
View media item 31259
and above
View media item 31260
Not sure how this would go down with the PD police.

Thanks for the input so far

Its late, my mind's tired, your plan with the colours does not tie up with your google earth extract colours, it may be because I'm tired or you need to clarify things a bit more.

Anyhoo you cannot develop anything beyond the line of the front wall of the property as was originally built in 1948 whether a front extension has been added or not. Likewise if you or the previous owner have added an extension to the side you cannot add another extension onto the side that exceeds half the width of the original house. The total width of all extensions must include previously added extensions . Why not just build a freestanding garage?

Yeah sorry freddy I done the google maps a while back then done the top pic recently. And didnt refer to either.

The front extension doesnt project past the garage which is the original garage which is the furthest forward part of the front. The question was in relation to leew2 where he said if there was a rear extension (which there is not) that a side extension could not be joined to it but could go back 3m past the rear of the house. And didnt know if the front part of the garage could be joined to the fron extension. Only by bricks not doors going through etc.

I am also asuming the front line of the house is the convefrted garage?

The reason I would like to attach it is for a couple of reasons. Firstly so that there is only one roof. also if I built it detached then I would have to keep it under 30m2 and also To fit in the width I would like I would need to build closer to the boundary then permitted under PD. ALthough the neighbour is british rail

Rob

also if I built it detached then I would have to keep it under 30m2
Why is that? Yes, you would have to build it to building regs and apply for a building notice if over 30m^2 but you would have to do that anyway if building it attached regardless of the size.

To fit in the width I would like I would need to build closer to the boundary then permitted under PD. ALthough the neighbour is british rail

Rob

PD allows one to build as close to the boundary as you want, you can build right up-to it. I recently built a 42m^2 garage with the wall about 200mm off a boundary (so foundation or the gutter did not overhang it).

ah cheers leew2 thats where I was getting confused. It was the 30m2 bit that I thought meant you could build without planning permission its the building regs that I need to adhere to. I get it now.

Thanks to you and Freddy for the useful information. I think a plan is hatching hehe.

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back